Good Spotting Airports in Europe

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 10 months

I am going on a spotting trip in europe on my own (only 18) in europe. Where are the best places to go?

I have thought of:

Manchester
Amsterdam
Frankfurt
Cologne
Munich
Hamburg
Barcelona
Madrid
Lisbon
faro
Nice
Zurich
Geneva

Any thoughts or any other ideas??

Thanks

Ashley

Original post

Member for

20 years 10 months

Palma, Corfu, Arecife, Tenerife South/North, Prague, Birmingham.

Depends on the types of places you really want to go.

Member for

24 years 2 months

• Dusseldorf. Two great observation platforms and one great aviation store (if somewhat expensive). Interesting traffic too with all the euro regulars, all the usual charterers and some long(ish) haul by various airlines mostly from the middle east. For instance Emirates and Mahan. Homebase of LTU.
  • Innsbruck, Austria. Traffic may not be as large as it is at other airports, but the area more than makes up for it. The airport is surrounded by mountains giving spectacular photos!

As for your list:

• FRA can be disappointing when you don't have a car at your disposal, or so I've been told. Not been there yet, but will go there in february.
  • I have tried Cologne. CGN will be disappointing for just a one day trip. This airport is served almost exclusively by Hapag Express and Germanwings. There are some other flights by BA, LH and the usual charterers. Not much to go wild over. The interesting freighters mostly come at night.
  • AMS Can't go wrong here, that's for sure.
  • Zurich, geneva, barcelona: heard lots of good things about it.

Member for

24 years 2 months

FRA :

the visiotrs terrace is facing south. So it is absolute bad for photography. If there is a westerly wind you can get to a good spot in the approach of the parallel runways by train. If there is a easterly wind you need a car.
for more information try : http://www.rams.de

CGN :

The terrce has (or is getting) plexiglass protection windows. So you can forget snapping pictures. The other places need a car and you can easily get a ticket. DUS is better.

AMS :

superb

TFS / TFN :

good spots , good traffic

LPA : good spots, interesting traffic

ACE : good

PMI : good

NRN : not worth a visit - only Rynair flying from there

Member for

24 years 2 months

Belfast Airports have good unoffical spots if you dont mind being outside in the cold lol!

Traffic isnt bad if you do both airports!

Member for

24 years 2 months

CGN :

The terrce has (or is getting) plexiglass protection windows. So you can forget snapping pictures. The other places need a car and you can easily get a ticket. DUS is better.

When I was there 21/09/03 the terrace was already surrounded by windows. About 2 metres high from the floor.

Member for

19 years 10 months

any other ideas?

Member for

24 years 2 months

When I was there 21/09/03 the terrace was already surrounded by windows. About 2 metres high from the floor.

That is what I meant

Member for

20 years 5 months

If you want to brave the cold-LHR.

Member for

19 years 10 months

LHR is my home airport really. What are the spotters facilities like in Mainland Spain? Any good? Was in GVA last week and I thought that it was really bad!

Ashley

Member for

19 years 10 months

Manchester is one of your best options, if you wanna keep warm you can go inside T1 or stay in your car at the viewing park, for great photos go near the terraced houses, airport pub, viewing park and there are more!

Member for

19 years 10 months

yeah, I have been to man a couple of times before, I love it there, great facilities

Member for

24 years 2 months

personally, if I where in your position I'd go to AMS. A lot is changing there. KLM is getting their new livery so the number of planes in the old livery is dropping fast. Same goes for Martinair, Holland EXEL and Transavia. Come to think of it, pretty much every Dutch airline is in the proces of changing colours. Dutchbird planes are still around but won't be for much longer.

Of course that is just the Dutch side. Also AMS attracts loads of Northwest planes. Both the livery and the DC-10 are on their way out so you should catch them while you can! Even at AMS the number o DC-10s in decreasing and the 747s have been removed altogether. In a year or two I think NW will only send A330s.

Viewing fascilties are great. You can get very close to the runway and do not need a car. You should not mind to walk 20 minutes though. Lots of loco's too with Easyjet, Jet2, Transavia/Basiqair, BMI Baby and from LHR BMI offers stunning fares.

Member for

20 years 10 months

LHR is my home airport really. What are the spotters facilities like in Mainland Spain? Any good? Was in GVA last week and I thought that it was really bad!

Ashley

Heres a guide to Alicante: http://plane-mad.com/guide_view.php?guide=alc
Madrid: http://plane-mad.com/guide_view.php?guide=mad
Malaga: http://plane-mad.com/guide_view.php?guide=agp

Hope that helps :)

Member for

19 years 10 months

I'd love to visit Domodedovo and Sheremetyevo, though I'd check the position on spotting and photography before doing so. Athens (Eleftherios Venizelos) is also interesting, and provides a good indoor viewing deck (though again check the authorities' position).