Thomson Fly new bases

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 6 months

Reading in Air International (December), the Chief Commercial Officer mentioned possible new bases at Norwich, Manston, Cambridge and Blackpool

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

Thats great news for local residents, the treading on other low-cost carrier's turf aren't they. Is that wise?

I thought Norwich, Cambridge and Manston can't handle B737.

Member for

19 years 6 months

They all can

MSE has one of the UK's longest runways
NWI sees B757's on charters
Cambridge has B777's come in for maintenance

Dont forget these are possible bases

Manston seems good - if EU Jet fail, Planestation will need a new airline and will be able to make concessions to Thomson Fly, so they will get a good deal

Blackpool is also in a good location - some inbound traffic as well, I reckon AMS would work

Member for

19 years 6 months

IF EUJet Fail, Planestation will go down with them - Planestation own EUJet.

Member for

19 years 6 months

IF EUJet Fail, Planestation will go down with them - Planestation own EUJet.

Not nessacarily - EU Jet will be a separate company from Plane Station so EU Jet could go into administration, but not Plane Station

Member for

20 years 11 months

Blackpool? Cambridge?

Come on - Get a reality check. EuJets loads are crap so why would TOM want to go in there?

Member for

19 years 5 months

Now i've driven right past cambridge airport and the runway looks short, barely capable of handling a B737, but i accept you word Humberside

Member for

20 years

Cambridge's runway can handle B747 and B777s for servicing and modification, so a loaded B737 shouldn't have too much trouble.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Cambridge's runway is 1965m, 100m longer than Blackpool's.

Member for

19 years 5 months

ok, ok point taken. But i still don't think they should be considering opening a base in Cambridge.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Blackpool would need serious investment to be able to handle based a/c, they can only handle one 737 flight in the departure lounge at the moment.

Member for

20 years

But i still don't think they should be considering opening a base in Cambridge.
Why? Considering that you're talking about the principal town in one of the more prosperous areas of the country it seems to make good sense to me.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Cambridge would need serious money spending on terminal infrastructure if there was to be regular 737 flights from the airport - it was OK for the Suckling / Scot Dorniers and the odd 737 charter but wouldn't be much good for more than that. Besides, CBG may be closing and the airfield used for housing development - rumours that if this happens then Marshalls may go to RAF Wyton, where commercial operations could be launched too but it'd need a similar terminal development to Doncaster to make anything of it.

Andy

Member for

19 years 5 months

Also, it is a bit close it STN.

Member for

20 years

Also, it is a bit close it STN.
Closer than LPL to MAN? Traffic at both is expanding quite happily.

Member for

19 years 6 months

rumours that if this happens then Marshalls may go to RAF Wyton, where commercial operations could be launched too but it'd need a similar terminal development to Doncaster to make anything of it.

Andy

Where's Wyton?

Member for

20 years 10 months

my dad works for marshalls and cambridge city council want to build houses on the airport site and marshalls to move to Raf Wyton or R.a.f Duxford but marshalls wont leave unless they get Loads of cash i.e tens of millions.

Member for

19 years 5 months

If they did move and get tens of millions then then wouldn't move to Duxford would they? Grass runway, Imperial War Museum (they've recently built a new building i think)

Wheres RAF Wyton?

Member for

20 years 9 months

RAF Wyton is about 15 miles NW of Cambridge

Member for

19 years 6 months

RAF Wyton is about 15 miles NW of Cambridge

Thanks

Member for

20 years 9 months

Wyton is a ridiculous idea! I fly from there regularly on AEF flights in the Grob Tutors, it's a University Air Squadron! Cambridge seems a much better option if they feel the need to expand in that area, seeing as it has atleast some infrastructure.