TV series "LOST"

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 2 months

Greetings,

I have a question regarding this series on TV at the moment here in NZ.

It's basically about a bunch of people who survive an airline crash on a deserted island.
Anyway one of the scenes just after the aircraft crash lands has a turbofan still running on the upside down wing which has seperated from the fuselage.
Can this actually happen ?
I thought that it needed controls which operate from the (in this case ripped off and further into the jungle) cockpit.

Cheers
Chris
(TNZ)

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Could you tell if there was any wind as ive seen an A321 fan turning at a fair rate in wind! Maybe it was slowing down as they dont stop immediatly there isnt fuel it takes a wee while to slow down and if there is wind as above it could look like was still runnng!

Member for

20 years 2 months

Well the programme is usual cr*p that is on tele,...but the engine basically spooling up and down (and also screeching like it should ) and was enough to suck in a poor unsuspecting "survivor" as he walked past...... definitely not freewheeling.

Question is can the engines run remotely like that with basically the fuel supply in the wing running it.

TNZ

Member for

24 years 3 months

Unsure offically but surly if it is running it will run till fuel supply to engine runs out?

Member for

20 years 2 months

Does it need electronics from the fuselage to keep running ?
ie engine management system, fuel control electronics.
In this case the aircraft is very 757 looking.

TNZ

Member for

19 years 3 months

Detached wing

I asked a broadly similar question while at the brand new Air New Zealand engine maintenance facility in Christchurch recently when a technician was explaining the digital engine control system, what used to be known as FADEC, and my understanding is that an engine would shut down immediately when a wing was detached as a safety precaution.

Member for

20 years 2 months

I asked a broadly similar question while at the brand new Air New Zealand engine maintenance facility in Christchurch recently when a technician was explaining the digital engine control system, what used to be known as FADEC, and my understanding is that an engine would shut down immediately when a wing was detached as a safety precaution.

Thanks Foxmoth.
Must be typical "Hollywood embellishment" then.. :rolleyes:

Funny you say safety precaution if the wing is detached.
I had visions of an airliner losing a wing in mid-air and the Captain saying "lucky the engine shuts down or we would be in real trouble"...
Obviously for crash-landing situations..

Cheers
TNZ

Member for

19 years 5 months

I recall a similar situation when Tom Hanks almost got eaten by a center DC-10 engine in "Cast Away".
So if must be true....Hollywood never exaggerates. Everything we see is true to life... :)

Member for

20 years 2 months

for sure....Hollywood knows everything about aviation.... :rolleyes:

Just curious more than anything.

The funny thing was that as the engine was screaming away at what seemed to be close to full noise, there were people having a conversation easily not far away, and not a lot of efflux happening out the back of the engine.... :D :eek:

Thanks for answers anyway :)

TNZ