Air Scotland start GLA - CDG and AMS

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

"Air Scotland are delighted to announce the lauunch of our new Glasgow to Paris flights.

Flights will operate direct to Paris (Charles De Gaulle)from Glasgow every Friday and Monday commencing 01 April and will operate year round"
With flights to Amsterdam on a Wednesday and Saturday. Obviously appealing to the short break market.

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

Good news but we need CDG daily and can GRE really compeate with the current 6daily flights on the GLA-AMS-GLA route with KL and EZY?

Member for

19 years 4 months

I have a feeling EZY will quickly see them pull off GLA-AMS and FR with their PIK-BVA will get them off that route as well.
I know they have a lack of a/c, but if they are to mount any sort of competition to FR and EZY on these routes, then they should be looking to operate them at Daily frequencies, surely?

Member for

19 years 5 months

EZY wont pull out of GLA-AMS because of GRE. When i got the email from GRE this morning i thought they must have got another aircraft but then i seen the schedule and i was slightly disappointed. They should drop the AMS service and make CDG 4 weekly.

Member for

19 years 5 months

I dont give these new routes a long time

Member for

19 years 4 months

EK, what I meant was GRE pulling off GLA-AMS quickly because of the competition from EZY :)

Member for

21 years

757s on these routes as well I assume?

Member for

19 years 5 months

EK, what I meant was GRE pulling off GLA-AMS quickly because of the competition from EZY :)

Ah got you now, sorry about that, yea i cant agree more with you on that one, hopefully they will do that and make CDG 4 weekly. they will be operated by Boeing 757-200 yes. Maybe GRE should think about taking 1 or 2 of MYT's ex 757s?

Member for

19 years 5 months

Here is the email i got from them this morning.

Attachments

Member for

20 years 10 months

It's probably just my perception, but Air Scotland seem to be a company sort of wallowing around, not sure what they want to do, not doing anything particularly well (wrong aircraft, wrong routes, no frequency, etc.) and waiting to go bust.

Whereas Globespan seem to be going for it, good routes, decent load factors, good image etc.

Is that fair comment or just how it seems to me observing from a distance?

1L.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Air Scotland are doing really well on their GLA-ATH route with an average load of 80% but they have been shoved off the Scotland-Holiday resort market by all the charters from GLA and GSM from GLA and EDI.

Heres what i think GRE should do.
1. Get a 737 or something of that size to do CDG and make it daily
2. Get another 757 and keep GLA-ATH and get rid of most of the holiday routs and make more routs to Greece, Turkey, Cyprus and others in that area.
Well that's what i think anyway

Member for

20 years 11 months

I'll give it a week....

Member for

20 years 10 months

The routes or the airline Tom?

1L.

Member for

19 years 11 months

I'll give it a week....

You could be right,

Time for Air Scotland to change it's name to "Air Glasgow"..?

Seems they are retreating fast from their earlier routes.. how long before they realise that SCOTLAND has more than one airport.? I suspect they are loathe to do the double drops that have so far kept them afloat.

I fear the worse.. :(

Member for

20 years 11 months

The routes or the airline Tom?

1L.

LOL - Good question, Air Scotland have hung around for far longer than we expected though....

Joe - Dont start that AGAIN

Member for

19 years 11 months

LOL - Good question, Air Scotland have hung around for far longer than we expected though....

Joe - Dont start that AGAIN

The freedom to express an opinion? :confused:

Member for

19 years 5 months

If GSM were to get their slots at ORY back and EZY went back to 2 daily on AMS then Air Scotland would be screwed.

Member for

20 years 2 months

2 weekly flights on both is an utter joke and Id be surprised if they start at all. If people want to fly with them they are extremley restricted on the days they can fly and dont have the sort of freedom they would have with FR,U2 or KL.

Member for

19 years 11 months

If GSM were to get their slots at ORY back and EZY went back to 2 daily on AMS then Air Scotland would be screwed.

I doubt they are screwed already? Paris is available from PIK
and KLM are hardly likely to sit on their thumbs losing business.? :confused:

Member for

19 years 11 months

2 weekly flights on both is an utter joke and Id be surprised if they start at all. If people want to fly with them they are extremley restricted on the days they can fly and dont have the sort of freedom they would have with FR,U2 or KL.

Agreed.. I despair for Air Scotland's future, they have tried all combinations of routes and pulled practically all of them.

I believe they are only surviving on Malaga and Alicante because tour operators have taken seat allocations.?

Air Scotland lack a strong High Street travel agent arm,
dare I suggest they might survive with long haul charter
flights from EDI? They will only be competiting against themselves.?

Member for

24 years 3 months

The freedom to express an opinion? :confused:

The freedom to express anti-Glasgow opinions of which you have many. :diablo:

I agree that Air Scotland have lasted much longer than expected and given they started almost in tandem with Globespan, they have been left far behind with their incoherent business strategies and odd alliances with aircraft lessors, most of whom have gone to the wall (Greek Airlines, Air Holland).

I do believe there is a reasonable enough demand for continental lo-co services from (all of) the Scottish airports to perhaps allow for two players in the market, operating from the main departure points of Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Easyjet have shown little interest in developing this opportunity, Ryanair, as we know fly to the suburbs at best.

In my opinion, for Air Scotland to be a success, they have to have at least two operational aircraft in the fleet, if not three and finally discover what if any market they wish to play for? Otherwise the competition will simply wipe them out.