New Fly Globespan Aircraft enters service

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Fly Globespan's first 737-800 touched down yesterday at Southend after delivery from Seattle.

I gather it's going to have winglets added soon too ? :D

Attachments
Original post

Member for

20 years 6 months

so it hasn't entered service just yet then ;)

Arriving in the UK and conducting a revenue flight (entry into service) are two different things ;)

Oh, and NGs are buiilt with the winglets on them by Boeing, if the customer chooses the option. ;)

It doesn't make sense to buy a new aircraft (or lease it) then pay upwards of £200K to fit winglets, when the winglets could have been installed as part of the manufacture.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Apparentlty its visiting Liverpool and Durham Tees Valley for training flights

Member for

24 years 3 months

so it hasn't entered service just yet then ;)

Arriving in the UK and conducting a revenue flight (entry into service) are two different things ;)

Bloody pedants everywhere ! :D

AFAIK it enters service today? Winglets to be applied sometime when appropriate.

Entering service doesn't necessarily mean it has to carry passengers, training and evaluation flights for Globespan mean it's entered service for Globespan in my book. :rolleyes: :dev2:

Member for

19 years 6 months

Started this morning around 0815

1.Southend
2.Glasgow
3.Liverpool
4.Cardiff
5.Teeside
6.Glasgow
7.Liverpool
8.Cardiff
9.Glasgow
10.Liverpool
11.Glasgow
12.Liverpool
13.Glasgow 03:35

Member for

19 years 5 months

Hehe - that was the 23rd's Rotations.
The a/c started in GLA on the 24th.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Oh, and NGs are buiilt with the winglets on them by Boeing, if the customer chooses the option. ;)

It doesn't make sense to buy a new aircraft (or lease it) then pay upwards of £200K to fit winglets, when the winglets could have been installed as part of the manufacture.

Must make some sort of financial sense , Flyglobespan have bought 50 (yes fifty) pairs of winglets which will be fitted at the airlines STN base . Obviously they have major expansion plans!

Member for

20 years 1 month

Must make some sort of financial sense , Flyglobespan have bought 50 (yes fifty) pairs of winglets which will be fitted at the airlines STN base . Obviously they have major expansion plans!

STN, what?! :confused: The winglets will be fitted at Southend and their HQ, which is/was at STN is about to or has just recently relocated to Edinburgh.

Member for

19 years 9 months

STN, what?! :confused: The winglets will be fitted at Southend and their HQ, which is/was at STN is about to or has just recently relocated to Edinburgh.

OK , but why are you confused. The point I was making was that the winglets are being done over here and not at Boeing. I apologise humbly for my err re STN! ;)

Member for

19 years 6 months

FlyGlobespan's main base is at Glasgow not Stansted or Edinburgh. Their office is in Edinburgh but the airline's main ops are from Glasgow.

Member for

20 years 1 month

FlyGlobespan's main base is at Glasgow not Stansted or Edinburgh. Their office is in Edinburgh but the airline's main ops are from Glasgow.

I was referring to their HQ.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Aren't the initial 738's from a cancelled order and one that probably didn't demand winglets ?

Member for

20 years 6 months

Aren't the initial 738's from a cancelled order and one that probably didn't demand winglets ?

that is possible.

I really do not see the logic in ordering a bunch of NGs and then retro fitting them when you can get them delivered with winglets.

Strange, very strange

Member for

19 years 5 months

Boeing do not, repeat do not fit the winglets. Other companies are contracted to do so.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Boeing do not, repeat do not fit the winglets. Other companies are contracted to do so.

Realy.

Then explain 737NGs coming off the production line with them attached.
there is a retrofit kit from Aviation Partners. This is what you're talking about.

But there is also the option to have 737NGs built with the winglets from the off.

Member for

19 years 6 months

I shot it departing Glasgow on Wednesday when it made it's first visit doing training flights up and down to Liverpool. It did the same again today so I managed to get better ones of it landing about midday.

Look forward to seeing it back at Glasgow next week with the Winglets attached as it will be the first 737 with Winglets on the UK Register (well I think that's right).

Fred.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Lovely shot of it Fred! :) Love that backdrop. Should look very nice with the winglets on.

Member for

19 years 5 months

GCDEG will fly it's first revenue flights today -
EDI-AGP
GLA-TFS

All new build 737's have the strengthened wing to receive the winglets - even if they are not fitted with them originally. Earlier 737 NG's require wing strengthening work to be carried out before the winglets can be fitted.

Aviation Partner are a subsidiary company of Boeing.

Member for

20 years

it will be the first 737 with Winglets on the UK Register
. Not quite....Leeds-based B737-8DR G-OBBJ of Multiflight has that particular honour.

Member for

20 years 1 month

From what I've read elsewhere, G-CDEG is due back at Southend tomorrow evening to have winglets fitted.

Member for

19 years 6 months

It did a flight from Malaga to Glasgow today arriving mid afternoon and left for Tenerife at 5-15pm tonight.

I hope to catch it again tomorrow morning leaving Glasgow one last time, got to get some slides of it pre Winglets attached.

Now it's late March the sun is getting around far enough for shooting from the North side at Glasgow in the evenings.

Fred.