BMI 757 saga continues....

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

If you were worried that the replacement of the A330 with a 757 would reduce capacity below demand then fear not, because without this codeshare there will be reduced connecting traffic from IAD...at least in the short term ;) ....

BMI to temporarily drop United Washington codeshare
Victoria Moores, London (24Mar05, 15:30 GMT, 139 words)

BMI is being forced to temporarily suspend its codeshare arrangement with United Airlines on its Manchester-Washington service, while it awaits US clearance for its Boeing 757 wet lease deal with Icelandair.

Star Alliance carrier BMI is bringing in an Icelandair Boeing 757 on its Manchester-Washington service to free up an Airbus A330, which will transferred to London Heathrow to operate its new Mumbai and Riyadh flights.

But BMI says that the long-term wet-lease will force it to temporarily suspend its codeshare deal with United until it obtains US clearance.

“United and BMI will suspend temporarily display of United’s code on BMI’s flights operated with Icelandair’s wet leased aircraft until a safety audit of Icelandair is concluded and approved by the FAA,” says BMI in a regulatory filing. Once approved, BMI will restore United Air Lines’ designator on the services.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news

Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

Standard procedure realy.

Would happen even if they leased an Icelandair 767

Member for

24 years 2 months

yep

Member for

20 years 5 months

There shouldn't be an issue with the process.

Ice have been operating into America for donkeys.

Member for

20 years 1 month

But BMI says that the long-term wet-lease will force it to temporarily suspend its codeshare deal with United until it obtains US clearance.

Long-term!?? Good or bad!?!
Good - Route looks "secure" for the next few years
Bad - a 75' on the IAD route for a while, no thanks!

Member for

19 years 8 months

Doesn't matter whether its standard procedure or not... There's going to be a period whilst BMI's MAN-IAD-MAN will not show up on UA's systems, and that can only lead to one thing - less passengers booking the service. The fact that the news says that they're being "forced" to drop the code share suggests that they didn't anticipate this problem. bmi management are nucking futs if you ask me.

Andy

Member for

24 years 2 months

but at least gd will be able to enjoy a flight on a 757 with a UA flight number and PROPER engines in the near future... ;) :diablo:

Member for

20 years 5 months

but at least gd will be able to enjoy a flight on a 757 with a UA flight number and PROPER engines in the near future... ;) :diablo:

HA HA, thats true

Member for

24 years 2 months

Noticed today that the MAN-IAD service is still showing in GDS as an A330 right through the summer.

Anyone know if the 757 has been approved yet or do they have something else up their sleeve???

I've been in touch with some old contacts at bmi who say its still not confirmed as far as they know and aren't sure whats going on!

Member for

20 years 1 month

One or two people on another forum i know of have phones up reservations, and they said the 757 will start to fly on either the 14t of 15th of May.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Even though this was posted weeks ago, I just noticed it, YAAAARR!!! :mad:. Good lookin' out though, Bhoy :). Is Celtic going to surpass Rangers and pull off the double?

P.S. I actually have already flown on 757 with a UA flight number (US flight from PHL-LAX) with those 'other' engines you guys love. :eek:

Member for

21 years

Really wouldn't fancy flying a 757 trans-atlantic. Flew with them last year on the 330 to Washington then onwards to New Orleans with UA, travelled in "New Economy" which was very good. I understand that the up-grade economy cabin wont be available on the 757.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Have Bmi already acquired said 757?

Member for

19 years 1 month

Not yet, though it is to be leased from Icelandair 13/05/05 - 31/10/05, reg should be TF-FII according to CAA

Scott

Member for

19 years 11 months

.....to be leased from Icelandair 13/05/04 - 31/10/04
It's a bit late, then! :D

Member for

19 years 1 month

Nah, it's been and gone and you didn't notice :)

Scott

Member for

24 years 2 months

Any idea if it will be in full Bmi livery?

Member for

20 years 1 month

They said it "might" be in a full livery, but more chance of just bmi titles applied to the front and tait probs, to save money

Member for

18 years 11 months

Just a question on the origonal quote:

Will this affect tickets already booked through United. I am due to fly on the 29th May from MAN-IAD booked via United - If the FAA havn't completed their paperwork by then will there be any changes enforced to my travel plans? :(

btw as of today (18th April) the BMI customer service departments are unawair (or so they say) of any change to the aircraft used - "But we wouldn't fly a smaller Aircraft on an Atlantic Route" was the response I received in a phone call today.

Funny how the rest of the world with an internet connection knows differently (And correctly, according to an insider I spoke to within BMI)

Member for

24 years 2 months

I'm sure they would honor your seat, regardless of whether it's a UA code or a BD code. You should be able to get your mileage either way, as I get my mileage on LH flights that don't have a UA code as well as the ones that do.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Just a question on the origonal quote:

Will this affect tickets already booked through United. I am due to fly on the 29th May from MAN-IAD booked via United - If the FAA havn't completed their paperwork by then will there be any changes enforced to my travel plans? :(

btw as of today (18th April) the BMI customer service departments are unawair (or so they say) of any change to the aircraft used - "But we wouldn't fly a smaller Aircraft on an Atlantic Route" was the response I received in a phone call today.

Funny how the rest of the world with an internet connection knows differently (And correctly, according to an insider I spoke to within BMI)

If your booking is with UA, then there is no reason why you shouldn't still be travelling, whatever aircraft it may be.

If there is any problem which means you can't travel, it is UA's responsibility to reaccomodate you, most likely via LHR.

bmi's reservation centre would probably have no idea about what aircraft is being used because they aren't bmi staff anymore, its an indian call centre now. I doubt any of them have ever seen the inside of a bmi aircraft (until the Mumbai starts maybe). They doing the best they can, but they really don't have the knowledge or experience to comment.

Interesting to see Jethro's site is quoting another A330 due from Emirates in time for May. Also the route is still showing as an A330 in GDS so maybe its not all signed and sealed yet.