Ryanair to Wet Lease 2 x A320

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Just read that Ryanair have wet leased 2 A320's, one from Monarch and the other from Eirjet.

Anyone know where they're gonna be based or what they're operating? Forgive me for sounding crude, but aren't A320's out of the normal Ryanair culture?

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Read the same at airliners.net, in fact they have been operating for a few days at least. Seen in Italy amongst other.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Hmm, very strange. Seeing as they're already receiving 3-5 new 738's each month. We have loads of FR pilots living on our road, and 3 live oppopsite us. If I see them, I'll ask them if they know any reasoning behind it.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hmm, very strange. Seeing as they're already receiving 3-5 new 738's each month. We have loads of FR pilots living on our road, and 3 live oppopsite us. If I see them, I'll ask them if they know any reasoning behind it.

Thats what I thought too. Thought would be all sorted on fleet, maybe not though!

Member for

24 years 2 months

You must remember that they have been speeding up the retirement of their 732s. That's perhaps why they need more last-minute capacity.

Member for

20 years 5 months

I'll beleive it when I see it.

With many 733s and 734s avaiable for lease at a cheaper rate (around 100 thousand £ cheaper per month than A320s) its hard to understand why FR would go for this.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Well belive it Bmused because they are flying around as we speak operating for Ryanair.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Well belive it Bmused because they are flying around as we speak operating for Ryanair.

interesting indeed.

Thats just crazy. Either they're happy to pay around 200-250K a month for an A320 (as oposed to 100-150k for a 734) or they got an amazing deal.

Member for

21 years

The Eirjet 320 is the only one they have, do they not have any regular work for the summer season?

Member for

20 years 5 months

The Eirjet 320 is the only one they have, do they not have any regular work for the summer season?

And isn't that leased from Monarch?
So in essence both A320's come from MON?

Member for

19 years 6 months

Forgive me for sounding crude, but aren't A320's out of the normal Ryanair culture?

I'm sure that FR either placed a firm order or signed a memorandum of understanding for A320s around 1990 or 1991, with Airbus having an A320 "painted" with FR titles.

David

Member for

20 years 5 months

I'm sure that FR either placed a firm order or signed a memorandum of understanding for A320s around 1990 or 1991, with Airbus having an A320 "painted" with FR titles.

David

A tactic which aimed at getting a better deal from Boeing. It worked.

Member for

20 years 2 months

I think Eirjet boght it off Monarch.

Member for

24 years 2 months

They haven't even got a full compliment of Cabin Crew yet from what I've heard. Large failure rate on the course (hehe!)! Sorry, shouldn't laugh.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I wouldn't read too much into it. They must just need more capacity right now and anything short term wet lease at the right price will suffice. That just happened to be an A320.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Bums on seats, gentlemen. That's the name of the game. :)

I'm not so sure about the retirement of B737 Classics being behind this, by the way. I've seen 5 different Classics in Manchester over the past 2 days.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Bums on seats, gentlemen. That's the name of the game. :)

I'm not so sure about the retirement of B737 Classics being behind this, by the way. I've seen 5 different Classics in Manchester over the past 2 days.

indeed.

But the crazy thing is. 737-400s have more seats than A320s and are cheaper to lease/run in the short run.

The a320s must have been plenty cheap

Member for

19 years 11 months

Don't get me started on the relative operating costs, or we'll be here all night! ;)

I'm sure we can all agree that Ryanair are nobody's fool when it comes to making money in the airline business. We can safely assume that, whatever the fine detail, the deal is favourable to Ryanair. :D

Member for

20 years 5 months

Don't get me started on the relative operating costs, or we'll be here all night! ;)

I'm sure we can all agree that Ryanair are nobody's fool when it comes to making money in the airline business. We can safely assume that, whatever the fine detail, the deal is favourable to Ryanair. :D

absolutely.

PS, you'd loose any operating cost argument ;) "bob" has supplied me with some tastey info.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Oh yeah?

Remember the last lot of operating cost info? :D

Spare yourself the pain, dear boy! ;)

Member for

20 years 5 months

Oh yeah?

Remember the last lot of operating cost info? :D

Spare yourself the pain, dear boy! ;)

We are talking about older aircraft here ;)

10 year old 734 v 10 year old A320 for example.