Member for

20 years 6 months

No - you're not getting me started!

Think of the little ones! :D:D:D

:p

Member for

19 years 5 months

indeed.

But the crazy thing is. 737-400s have more seats than A320s and are cheaper to lease/run in the short run.

The a320s must have been plenty cheap

Not quite -

Charter config 734 - 170 seats.
Charter config 320 - 180 seats.

With the new EU regs it might be easier to use the higher capacity A320 - with FR's load factors the extra 10 seats between a 734 and 320 might be the difference between paying out compensation or not for overselling flights.

Member for

24 years 3 months

So finally Ryanair have come out of the closet as AB curious? :D :D :D

Member for

20 years 6 months

Just got word from "bob"

apparently 737s are not so available for lease as I thought. No 400s available and the only 300s available are due for D checks.
Plenty used A320's available mind you.

Update: No 737-300's available for lease. Not due to D checks as originaly thought. All snapped up.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Maybe Ryanair have lost their enthusiasm for lowest possible op costs as now they are using A320s and we recently had a picture posted of them using an airbridge at malaga!! :eek: :diablo: :eek: :diablo:

Member for

20 years 6 months

Maybe Ryanair have lost their enthusiasm for lowest possible op costs as now they are using A320s and we recently had a picture posted of them using an airbridge at malaga!! :eek: :diablo: :eek: :diablo:

or maybe they went for the only aircraft available for lease?

Member for

19 years 11 months

According to EDI ops, airbridges do not cost extra, isn't this the case with all airports?

Member for

19 years 11 months

Just read that Ryanair have wet leased 2 A320's, one from Monarch and the other from Eirjet.

Anyone know where they're gonna be based or what they're operating? Forgive me for sounding crude, but aren't A320's out of the normal Ryanair culture?

This is Eijet's

http://img102.exs.cx/img102/5838/eidij2bk.jpg

Member for

24 years 3 months

According to EDI ops, airbridges do not cost extra, isn't this the case with all airports?

I think the issue is more the extra turnaround time, rather than just using the built in airstairs. (eg waiting for airbridge to back away and needing a pushback rather than just taxi-ing away from a remote stand etc...)

Member for

20 years 11 months

You would think that with the Scheduled season just starting, Monarch would need all the A320s they could get to operate the ZB and charter flights?

Ah well, they know better than us!

Member for

20 years 6 months

Its not the cost per se.

Its the time.
An airbridge can add an extra 10 minutes onto a turnaround easy.
Not good when you want your 737 back in the air in 20-30 minutes. 10 minutes added is a huge percentage.

EDIT: Didn't see Bhoy's post.

Member for

24 years 3 months

AFAIk the simple reason shoould be that it is very hard tp pick up a 733 or 734 in Europe at the moment. While you can get plenty of A320 for wetlease.

Seems like the old Boeings are more popular then the Airbus with operators in Europe.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hard to believe that FR's CEO who never miss an opportunity to pi$$ on Airbus is gonna lease a couple of A320's...!!!! Fool's day joke I'm affraid.

Member for

20 years 6 months

AFAIk the simple reason shoould be that it is very hard tp pick up a 733 or 734 in Europe at the moment. While you can get plenty of A320 for wetlease.

Seems like the old Boeings are more popular then the Airbus with operators in Europe.

Indeed so.
"Bob" concurs. For a number of reasons a 10 year old 734 is cheaper to run than a 10 year old A320, all in all.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes, interestingly many airlines are looking for used 737-300 or 400. Air Berlin (although they get new A320) and dba are both ready to tkae on more of those.

I heard that the maintenance costs on the old A320 are much higher then on the old Boeings, which are rock solid.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Yes, interestingly many airlines are looking for used 737-300 or 400. Air Berlin (although they get new A320) and dba are both ready to tkae on more of those.

I heard that the maintenance costs on the old A320 are much higher then on the old Boeings, which are rock solid.

I'm not gonna go into it any further ;)

Best to avoid opening a can of worms. although you are correct.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The reason that there aren't any 737's available is because the leasing costs at the moment are generally cheaper than an A320. Similarly a 767 can be had at the moment for around 200,000 dollars a month whereas an A330 will set you back around 900,000.

Member for

20 years 6 months

:eek: surprising to me as all I ever hear is FR ordered such and such amount of B738's. Could this mean a long term change from Boeing to Airbus. :confused:

Member for

20 years 11 months

Oh come on AO, wet leasing 2 A320s for a short time means they are going to change from Boeing to Airbus, when they already have god knows how many 738s and have over 100 on order ?