ATC Wind Information

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 10 months

As airliners now tend to have instruments giving wind speed and direction, I was wondering what the ATC wind information is used for when it is given with take off and landing clearance. Is it simply to check and verify the aircrafts wind instrument, or is the instrument on the aircraft deemed to be unaccurate?

Thanks,
Luke

Original post

Member for

19 years 9 months

As airliners now tend to have instruments giving wind speed and direction...

They do??? :confused: News to me! :o

Most modern airliner's FMCs are very capable of determining the winds aloft and factoring that into the speed and track needed to make good a particular flight plan, but not of determining wind on ground whilst the aircraft is stationary or taxiing which can of course be critical to take off and landing.

Andy

Member for

20 years 11 months

...I was wondering what the ATC wind information is used for when it is given with take off and landing clearance.

Because it's more important to know the wind direction and speed for where you are going to then knowing what they are were you are currently at.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The wind is different at different altitudes. So on the ground the wind may be completely different. Knowing that makes the landing safer and more comfortable.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Thanks for the replies.

Member for

24 years 3 months

On board instrumentation gives us the wind strength direction in our current position. ATC given wind is that at the threshold of the active runway. Go into places like Tenerife and they will frequently differ by 180 degrees.