Onur banned from NL for one month.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Dutch aviation autorities cancel Onur' landing rights.

12/05/2005

HOOFFDORP - The Dutch aviation autories have suspended Onur's landing rights for one month following a new incident tuesday the 10th of may. The suspension is effecive immediately. The ban follows an incident last tuesday at Antalya airport where the trust reversers had problems.

Lately there has been a string of incidents. The inspeciton recenlty gave a final warning to Onur a few days ago. The lates incident proved to be the fina straw.

The ban will be till sunday the 12th of june 12:00 CET. During this period Onur will have to show structural measures to improve safety.

At this moment (thursday may 12th, 11:45) two of Onur' planes are en-route to Maastricht. They are allowed to continue their flights.

Translated from Dutch:
http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/news/?ID=8460

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Knowing some land regularly in EBLG, (And most probably overfly my house) I now feel much safer. Thank you :)

Member for

21 years

Onur never seemed to me the worst of the bunch in terms of some of the Turkish operators, Fly Air particularly scare the hell out of me.

Anyone got more details on this "incident" that prompted the Dutch authorites to take such drastic action?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Good move. Hope they don´´t come back.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Onur have also been banned in Germany, although I don't have specific details, but I read a brief press statement about it from the LBA (Luftfahrt Bundesamt [German CAA])

Member for

24 years 2 months

The president of Onur air has issued this statement:

PRESSBULLETIN:

LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT OF ONUR AIR TURKEY

Istanbul, 13th of May 2005.... 'After an inappropriate action, Onur Air has
been
subject to a rather unfortunate and unfair treatment by Dutch Air and Sea
Tranport Authority -Inspectie Verkeer en Waterstaat - and our flights to the
Netherlands are stopped for one month as of yesterday. Onur Air has been
holding 50 percent of the whole package holiday market in Netherlands as a
result of its long time satisfactory performance and commercial stability.
We have a well-earned reputation in the Netherlands as proven by millions of
thousands of travellers and nearly all Dutch tourism organisations have
chosen to work with us.

The reason of the ban was reported to be the result of a technical problem
on one of Onur Air's aircraft last week in Amsterdam, but statistically, it
is reported that one airline has a technical delay everyday in the
Netherlands.
In this case dozens of airlines should be stopped operating to the
Netherlands every month.

Unfortunately, German DGCA has also stopped our operation to Germany
without any event, just as a result of Netherlands decision.

We currently fly to 73 airports in Europe with our 25 aircrafts since 14
years now.
Our highest achievement awards from Airbus, Boeing and many touroperators
have been acknowledged by all authorities. We believe we have the right to
be treated equally and fairly with all other airlines in Europe under EASA
regulations.

Yours Sincerely,
Hamit Cankut Bagana
President
Onur Air
Turkey'.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Apparantly, they've just been banned in Switzerland, too.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Really does surprise me about Onur, as Mark says, I always thought FlyAir were the worst Turkish airline, Onur have won awards from Airbus with regards to maintenance.

Dont actually think it was Onurs fleet that has caused this, I think its the Tristars that have been operating flights into AMS that has caused it all.

Member for

24 years 2 months

It is also their own fleet. In fact, the Tristar leases where only part of their problems.

While their A320/A321 operation is quite good, and therefore aclaimed by Airbus, their A300 and MD-80 operations seems to be rather poor. I have no first hand information but there have been incidents wiht these guys.

In the Netherlands a runway overrun at Groningen with a MD-80 two years back is still fresh in mind. It has also been revealed that the paperwork at Onur is not always as good as it should be. Apparently quite often the captain would falsify the weights on the loadsheets. While the overweight was not huge (so I've been told), it was overweight and as such illegal.

Recently there has been a few minor incidents too. Just last week a A300 bound for AMS aborted takeoff in Turkey because of a problem with the trust reverse. There was a serious risk of it deploying in-flight. Had the pilots not aborted there was a chance for a crash.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The final Onur flight to DUS just yesterday had a problem with the thrustreversers on the left engine. Quite ironic...

Member for

20 years 5 months

Onur was first banned in Germany for safety reasons, all other countries followed.

But that is not the whole story: There were a couple of thousand German tourists stranded in Turkey after Onur was revoked its German landing rights. And for these people a couple of German charter airlines stepped in, but for a couple of hours yesterday (13May2005) ALL German charter airlines had their Turkish landing rights revoked! So much about the understanding of safety measures!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Onur was first banned in Germany for safety reasons, all other countries followed.

Onur was banned in the Netherlands first, Germany followed after consoltation with the Dutch IVW.

To add, according to airliners.net they have now also been banned from France and Switzerland.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I read this morning that they've now also been banned in Belgium.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Just goes to show folks. Any aircraft left in the hands of an airline that doesn't take care of it can suffer from a rash of tech problems.
Its not just Boeing's that are falling apart after all, eh ;)

Member for

19 years 8 months

Just goes to show folks. Any aircraft left in the hands of an airline that doesn't take care of it can suffer from a rash of tech problems.

Do you really have to end every post with this pro Boeing nonsense.

Flex 35

Member for

20 years 5 months

Do you really have to end every post with this pro Boeing nonsense.

Flex 35

Not pro boeing at all.

Pro everything I supose.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Don´t see the connection. That is all about an unsafe airline. For there are many of them in the turkish charter business imho.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Don´t see the connection. That is all about an unsafe airline. For there are many of them in the turkish charter business imho.

What I was getting at is past comments on this forum where people (some not here anymore) would constantly assume Boeings were unsafe as so many of them were going tech or falling to pieces etc. (One person even suggested that as Airbuses had less tech issues they must be safer.)

Now this case has proven that no matter what make of plane, regardless of where it was built or who by, if its not maintained right.. they can fall to bits or be otherwise deemed unsafe as in the Onur Air case. Banned due to faulty aircraft and Maintenance procedures.