B787 Cargo

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 5 months

Is there any chance Boeing will produce a B787 Cargo aircraft?

Thanks

Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

Is there any chance Boeing will produce a B787 Cargo aircraft?

Thanks

Let them build a Pax version first, huh ;)

Member for

19 years 5 months

Lol, going by the success that the pax one looks like it is going to be and other things i would think that they will do a cargo 787

Member for

19 years 9 months

In time we shall see

Member for

20 years 11 months

You bloodywell beat me to it "again"

Member for

20 years 5 months

You bloodywell beat me to it "again"

what can I say.....

Great minds think alike ?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Yes they will alsmost definately build one. But it won't be until it stops loosing its appeal to the pax airlines. That's how it always goes. As soon as an airliner gets sold less and less in the pax market new version are made. And a cargo version is the most likely and most cheap. Once that is done military versions are added.

It is interesting though how the future USAF tanker fits in to this. Boeing have already stated that the 787 will be unsuitable as a tanker. It has been too optimised for passenger flying. What this exactly means I do not know. But could this affect the 787s future potential as a cargo plane? Or is this just Boeings way of telling the Pentagon that they should take the 767 and leave the 787 production slots for the airlines?

Member for

20 years 5 months

Yes they will alsmost definately build one. But it won't be until it stops loosing its appeal to the pax airlines. That's how it always goes. As soon as an airliner gets sold less and less in the pax market new version are made. And a cargo version is the most likely and most cheap. Once that is done military versions are added.

It is interesting though how the future USAF tanker fits in to this. Boeing have already stated that the 787 will be unsuitable as a tanker. It has been too optimised for passenger flying. What this exactly means I do not know. But could this affect the 787s future potential as a cargo plane? Or is this just Boeings way of telling the Pentagon that they should take the 767 and leave the 787 production slots for the airlines?

Then explain the 777F, 757PF and 747F ;)

All sold or about to be sold alongside the booming PAX versions

Member for

24 years 2 months

Then explain the 777F, 757PF and 747F ;)

All sold or about to be sold alongside the booming PAX versions

But those where not available until the market had dropped a bit. First few years you will only see pax versions as Boeing is trying to sell as many planes as they can. Annd with the limited production slots available pax airlines are more lucrative.

Once there is a dip in the market the freighter is introduced. This may not mean that there are no more pax planes sold. It just means that less are sold then their production capacity. After all, when a plane is brand new it sells more then when it is, say, 5 or 10 years old. However, but that time the complete production infrastructure is already in place. Boeing would be stupid not to fill it.

The 777F does not exist. As far as I know Boeing is studying it, but that's it. The 757PF was introduced at the end of the 757s life. Only the 747 was different. And that's because it was designed from the get go to be a cargo plane. Back then it was common knowledge that SST's would be ferrying passengers and big 747s freight. In the end the fuel crisis stopped that but that's for historians.

Besides, the cargo airilnes where desperate to get the 747F and willing to pay for it. They will not do that for the 787 because there are loads of 2nd hand 767s and 330s available. They are cheaper for cargo airlines.