Amsterdam Meet....4th February?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 11 months

I'm not been harsh, but it is true, and it's annoying when people say they are going here there and everywhere without actually attending.

I understand the circumstanses.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Sorry if i am annoying, but as i say i do feel that i have other priorities, i just said i was intending to come, i didnt say deffo. Ask Dan, and he'll tell you i planned to come to AMS, i didnt give him or you a final word.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Yeah, I know mate, Dan told me at MAN that you had planned to come, I didn't say that you in particular were annoying, i'm sorry if I overreacted :).

Member for

20 years 1 month

LOL and sorry you did catch me at my mad moment of the day....peace?? :D

Member for

20 years 11 months

Peace indeed :).

Member for

20 years 9 months

Anyone care to help with my question....?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi Wannabe,

there are three options:

1) Take Ryanair to EIN. Arrive saturday 0845 CET and depart sunday 1925CET. Don't worry about getting to AMS, I'll pick you up at the airport if need be. Price for the flight is 31,91 all-in but obviously does not include a hotel. You will have to arrange that yourself, or stay overnight at the terminal.

2) Take the Easy flight. I will pick you up at the terminal at 9 and take you to the runway in use (along with anyone else that happens to be waiting). We will stay there for the duration, and after the five hours I'll drop you back of at the terminal. There you may check in, and after that spend one hour at the terrace (which is VERY overrated if you ask me as you are facing the sun). After that hour you will still have one hour to get through security etc and spot some planes airside.

3) Take Easyjet and take the late flight back. Flight EZY3892 leaves at 2155 CET and will arrive at rougly the same time in STN.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Thanks for that advice Peter. The EZY3892 is only on weekdays and Sundays, unfortunately the last flight on a Saturday is 1615 back to STN. I would do the EIN option if a) I had extra cash and b) it wasn't during my AS-level Modular exams.

But you mention about picking me up straight after arrival...that sounds good to me. Would that be enough time to have a go at the usual touch-down and rotation shots I always see from AMS? And is the terrace facing the Sun all day? Because if that's the case I could probably skip it altogether and get as much time as possible at the runways.

Member for

24 years 3 months

From the terminal to the most remote runway (polderbaan) is 20 minutes give or take. To the Kaagbaan, always used except for very rare corsswinds, is at most 15 minutes by car.

Most of the observation platform faces the sun all day. The only aprt that does not face the sun all day is the section between the E and F piers. Here you will find mostly KLM and NWA heavies. 747s and DC-10s/330s respectively. Some of the taxiways can be photographed, but usually you will be shooting the planes from the rear.

Member for

24 years 3 months

to add, depending on runway usage you will see most of the interesting heavies take-off during the time you are here. China Airlines, Eva, lots a KLM, NWA, CO, UA etc. Probably some Kalitta freighters too, although their schedule is not quite fixed!

Member for

20 years 11 months

That sounds good for me as well Peter, I will be arriving just about the same time as Dan, and when he goes back to check in, I can spend the rest of my time on the viewing platform, as im not bothered about photography, though I would like to visit all the spots you see on photos, hope that would be ok :).

Member for

20 years 9 months

That sounds good for me as well Peter, I will be arriving just about the same time as Dan, and when he goes back to check in, I can spend the rest of my time on the viewing platform, as im not bothered about photography :).

Don't hold me to it yet! This month is the first time I've got to pay car insurance, and I'm not entirely sure how much it's gonna put me out of pocket yet. Aslong as it isn't much more than I'm predicting, it should be ok.

Member for

20 years 11 months

No probs Dan :).

I'm about to book another day in DUB around two weeks after AMS, £25 return, cant resist!

Member for

24 years 3 months

though I would like to visit all the spots you see on photos
All of them is gonna be hard. AMS is a lot larger (landwise) than any commercial airport in the UK. To drive around all spots would be possible in the few hours you got, but you would not get to see a lot of planes.

Depending on the wind we will probably either stay at the Kaagbaan all day, or the Polderbaan all day. Those that do not have to take an early flight will be taken to another spot half way during the day. Some 3 or 4 days in advance of the meet a more precise itinerary can be plotted.

Member for

20 years 11 months

I didn't mean all of them literally mate ;).

I understand about the land size of AMS, I am happy wherever I am as long as i'm in AMS :D.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Just received a pm from Shamrock regarding this meet, and thought id bring it back up.

Any updates?

Member for

20 years 9 months

Not on my side - still WW not doing a twice daily service on a saturday and and EZY not doing any flights from EMA, TOM from CVT still nothing and KLM a little out of my price range. Ahhh well :(

Member for

20 years 1 month

Ok, it's far enough ahead to easily avoid having to work and it's at the weekend so not clashing with uni, just got to get there.... :confused: A day trip isn't possible from EDI, unbelievable! EZY is only daily and KLM is only for lottery winners. ;)
I could find a cheap airport hotel and stay overnight and fly KLM, but even then KLM are still going to be £100+hotel room. Or I could do something like EDI-STN-AMS-MAN-EDI spread out over the weekend, but that would still come to around £100.... :rolleyes: Why can't EZY still offer 2x daily! :mad:
If I do book I'll still have to wait a month or so anyway I think, but I'll keep searching for viable options. ;)

Member for

20 years 11 months

No probs mate, amazing you cant get AMS twice daily from EDI with anyone other than KLM! Really surprised GSM havent started it.

Member for

20 years 1 month

No probs mate, amazing you cant get AMS twice daily from EDI with anyone other than KLM! Really surprised GSM havent started it.

Indeed, I was hoping that GSM would have started GLA-AMS 2x daily for the winter as rumoured and then I could've simply driven across to GLA, but as it turns out I can't even do that now as although GSM are starting GLA-AMS, it's not until March I think, and even then it's only going to be daily.