Birmingham International (BHX) News

Profile picture for user Future Pilot

Member for

16 years 4 months

Posts: 3,394

Record Passenger Numbers

Birmingham International Airport (BIA) has experienced its busiest June ever with some 960,419 passengers travelling through the Airport, an increase of 9.1% over June 2004.

Richard Heard, Birmingham International Airport’s Managing Director commented, “The increase in passenger numbers signifies the Airport’s steady growth following the launch of several new airlines, increased frequencies and a wider route network with full fare and low cost carriers. June’s figures also verify that airlines and tour operators are continuing to recognise the huge benefits of operating from Birmingham and providing more choice and flexibility for Midlands’ travellers.”

Scheduled traffic grew by 23.5% overall with passenger numbers increasing on flights to Asia (+55.6%), on non-EU routes (+53.9%) and EU services (+21.6%), as well as Domestic flights (+17.6%) and transatlantic operations (+8%).

Other scheduled destinations which saw an increase in passenger traffic over the month were, Larnaca (+128.9), Prague (+99%), Milan (+50.6%), Edinburgh (+24.4%), Amsterdam (+15.6%), Zurich (+15.6%), Lyon (+11.6%), Munich (+11.1%), Aberdeen (+10.6%) and Inverness (+9.6).

Although the number of charter passengers fell by 9.9% overall during June, growth was seen on flights to Mexico (+102.7%), Bulgaria (+76%), Turkey (+21.6%), Cyprus (+12.9%) and Croatia (+8.6%), reflecting a wider trend across the charter market.

Scheduled traffic accounted for 64.5% of the total June figure while charter passengers made up the remaining 35.5%.

Glad to see we have record high figures for June! :D

Also seems a new airline wants to start operations from BHX.

As the demand of airbourne travel increases, the management of SkyEyes Airlines has decided and planned to introduce the passenger services. As planned, we will establish routes that will be truly alternatives for passengers. The passenger flights of SkyEyes Airlines will take-off in 2005.

The aircraft
The aircraft we use is Lockheed L-1011 /250 Tristar. This is our wide-body long-range passenger plane and can fly non-stop up to 10:30 hours with 337 seats in maximum configuration.

The routes
SkyEyes Airlines passenger flights will fly between:

* Bangkok, Thailand (BKK)
* Bombay, India (BOM)
* Amritsa, India (ATQ)
* Birmingham, UK (BHX)

You can see the times of the flights in the link......

http://www.skyeyesairlines.com/passenger.php

Shame they are not 'spotter friendly' ;) , so anyone have opinions on this? I'm not too sure. It would be great to have a scheduled Tristar service into BHX but I won't keep my hopes up with this.

Original post
Profile picture for user BHXlocal

Member for

14 years 8 months

Posts: 841

Great news to hear that things are on the up at BHX. Plus to see more airlines wanting to start up especially when it involves a tristar ;)

Member for

15 years 1 month

Posts: 1,887

How do Sky Eyes plan to get UK-India rights, they are all taken

Profile picture for user T5

Member for

19 years 11 months

Posts: 6,503

45-minute turnarounds in Birmingham? Their aircraft can hold 337 passengers. This seems such a short amount of time to get so many people and their bags off of such a large aircraft, then to clean it and then to load it up again, ready for its next flight.

Profile picture for user Grey Area

Member for

15 years 8 months

Posts: 10,160

A passenger Tristar?

Not many of those about these days......

Profile picture for user Future Pilot

Member for

16 years 4 months

Posts: 3,394

A passenger Tristar?

Not many of those about these days......

You would have to be an early riser to catch it!

45-minute turnarounds in Birmingham? Their aircraft can hold 337 passengers. This seems such a short amount of time to get so many people and their bags off of such a large aircraft, then to clean it and then to load it up again, ready for its next flight.

Wishful thinking on their part maybe? 90 minutes at least I would of thought.

Profile picture for user BHXlocal

Member for

14 years 8 months

Posts: 841

That does seem to be a very short turn-around! For an aircraft of that size and passangers, maybe 90mins+

Profile picture for user Future Pilot

Member for

16 years 4 months

Posts: 3,394

The passenger flights of SkyEyes Airlines will take-off in 2005.

Well that is a quick launch date, let's hope they annouce an official date soon.