BA seating on A319

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 2 months

Chaps,

Off to Heathrow with BA tomorrow, now it’s planed to be an A319 “new type for me” anyway will be checking in online but BA’s website doesn’t show the 319 seat plan, I know it’s similar to the 320 just a tad shorter. Question anybody been on one and can suggest a decent seat.

Rgds

Andy

Original post

Member for

19 years 10 months

As someone is asking where a decent seat is on BA's A319, im travelling on BMI's A319 in 4 weeks, so where is a good seat on BMI's?
Thanks

Member for

24 years 2 months

As someone is asking where a decent seat is on BA's A319, im travelling on BMI's A319 in 4 weeks, so where is a good seat on BMI's?
Thanks

I flew on a British Airways A319 more than three years ago, G-EUPV in fact from Barcelona to Heathrow, so trying to remember the best seats is a near-impossible task.

But with regard to the bmi A319s, myself and A330Crazy flew down to Paris on one just over a month ago. We used the self check-in machines at Heathrow and were trying to figure out which row was the exit row, assuming there was more space. The machine didn't make it very clear to us, so we took a guess at row 12.

We were wrong - it was row 9. So, I'm guessing that like a lot of airlines, exit rows have more legroom, so on the bmi A319s, I'd go for seat 9A or 9F. With cabin service starting from the front of the aircraft, you'll be of the first to get served as well! :)

Member for

19 years 10 months

Avoid the "middle" seats (i.e. Bs and Es) if possible, as they are tighter than the window and aisle seats.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Actually Pablo the centre seats on the BA A319s are slightly wider than the aisle and window seats to go some way to making them more comfortable than they would otherwise be.

Wilag, it depends what you want really. I don't know what route you will be flying, so not sure whether it is a 1 or 2 class cabin.

Generally speaking though there are 21 rows, ABC on the aircraft left and DEF on the aircraft right. Row 9 is the overwing exit row, with very slightly more legroom. I would avoid row 8 as it doesn't recline at all, and row 21 as it has limited recline and is immediately in front of the rear toilets. The back 4 rows have slightly less legroom as they are never used as Club Europe seats.

If you want a quick get away on arrival I would go for about row 2 or 3. If you want to see what is happening in the cabin or to be able to see the wings I would go for about row 13 or 14.

Hope that helps,

1L.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Actually Pablo the centre seats on the BA A319s are slightly wider than the aisle and window seats to go some way to making them more comfortable than they would otherwise be.
Not in my experience. The B seat is narrower than the A and C seats as a result of the fact that the seat is often disused in Club Europe.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Pablo,

You might have noticed from my signature, I work on the A319 at BA.

The seats convert from Club Europe to Euro Traveller and vice versa. The sizes in one configuration do not impact on the sizes in the other.

Roughly speaking in Club config the A C D and F seats are the same width as each other, the E seat is about 1 and a half inches wider, and the B seat as good as disappears and is not used. In Traveller config the A C D and F seats are the same width as each other (but narrower than in Club) and the B and E seats are about 1 inch wider.

1L.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Roughly speaking in Club config the A C D and F seats are the same width as each other, the E seat is about 1 and a half inches wider, and the B seat as good as disappears and is not used. In Traveller config the A C D and F seats are the same width as each other (but narrower than in Club) and the B and E seats are about 1 inch wider.

This is sort of my point. When I flew on an A319 (domestic) I was allocated the B seat. As there's no Club Europe on domestic but the cabin is in a domestic configuration, the seat seemed narrower. This may have been due to the position of the armrests, which encorached on the seat. I was disappointed with the layout, as I felt the seat shouldn't have been used at all.