India To Shoot Down Hijacked Planes

Profile picture for user pirate

Member for

16 years 3 months

India adopts tough hijack policy

The Indian government has adopted a policy allowing it to shoot down hijacked passenger aircraft if they are convinced the plane would be used as a missile.

Original post

Member for

15 years 8 months

I believe the US government has a similar policy.

Member for

15 years 4 months

I believe the US government has a similar policy.

Thats if they can get enough fighters in the air with "live" weapons!

sorry read a report after 911 that the USAF could only manage to scramble 5 fighthers to cover the whole of the USA, and only 2 of those was armed with live amunition, the others were on training sortee's and running low on fuel!

Member for

19 years 11 months

This was about India not the U.S. :confused:

Profile picture for user KabirT

Member for

19 years 11 months

India adopts tough hijack policy

The Indian government has adopted a policy allowing it to shoot down hijacked passenger aircraft if they are convinced the plane would be used as a missile.

yes but lets put emphasis on the part that states shot down only when the plane is being threatned to be used as a missile. If situations like Indian Airlines hijack to kandahar happen, shooting such situations down will be absurd.

Member for

15 years 4 months

This was about India not the U.S. :confused:

Yep i appreciate that, but it was mentioned that the US DOD has a similar policy, and at the time of 911 very major short commings were noticed in air defence policy.

Profile picture for user concordesst

Member for

15 years 9 months

Yer the US has a policy like that i beleive, but i mean, does anyone disagree there could be weapons grade material on board which is a threat to NS. Probably think differently if i was on board like, but in a do or die situation i think the pax would try and retake the plane, like UAL93.