What is the Most Popular Regional Airliner

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 10 months

Depends on the model. ER was the original version and is pretty poor but mainly with load limits. The EP is a bit better and has a few more pounds of thrust which helps in the climb. The XR is exactly what the -145 should be. It climbs great, has great range and load limits are almost never even a consideration.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Without a doubt I think the BAC 111 is/was by far the best regional airliner ever built.

Just the look of it (inside and out) makes makes me week at the knees! :o

Oh and the sound of it......oh just the sound.... ........oooooooohhhh!! (I'm very very sad).Nothing sounds better. :D

Cheers

Kev

Member for

24 years 2 months

Without a doubt I think the BAC 111 is/was by far the best regional airliner ever built.

Just the look of it (inside and out) makes makes me week at the knees! :o

Oh and the sound of it......oh just the sound.... ........oooooooohhhh!! (I'm very very sad).Nothing sounds better. :D

Cheers

Kev

At the time the BAC111 could probably not be counted as a RJ, but more a smaller mainline jet.

As for the sound... as soon as the engines where reved up at the departure point, the people at the arrival point could hear it was coming. Man... that thing was noisy!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Very common to see them here in Spain as Air Nostrum/Iberia Regional operates 32 of them (and 21 Dash 8 by the way)

They are my favourite ones :D Their colour scheme makes them better for getting on video as they climb away - the orange shows up well compared to the largely-white fuselage colours on many airliners. I always remember seeing one take off at MAN, best take off I saw that day, it was up and away in no time - that's what converted me to the CRJ, before that I always thought they were weird looking things. Also in BRU I saw some great performances from CRJs, and a Eurowings one in BHX which took off just after our SNBA A319 had landed.

I have heard about the low windows, but that was from someone quite tall, so I don't honestly know how I'd find them in that respect. I'd like to try the ERJ too, as well as the Dash 8.

Member for

18 years 8 months

Yak-40

One of the best and the most classic RJ-s is certainly Yak-40.

Does any other plane have better or even as much as comparable performance?

Member for

20 years 10 months

At the time the BAC111 could probably not be counted as a RJ, but more a smaller mainline jet.

At the time of it's introduction the BAC111 was an RJ just as the DC9 was. The roles they filled are the same as those performed by the ERJ/CRJ. Actually todays RJ's are seen operating on city pairings with ranges that would have been rarely seen 20 years ago with a BAC111 or DC9. The scope of the Regional changed so the utilization of the BAC111/DC9 followed. Now, as you said tenthije, these aircraft would be considered small mainline jets.