Helios 737 Crash (Merged)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 7 months

I've been told that on a US television news program, they showed video/pictures from the f-16 into the cockpit of the doomed aircraft, and one could actually see the co-pilot slumped over the controls. I've searched all over, has anyone seen this and could they please post it. thanks.

Member for

19 years 11 months

If anyone has a link for yitz98, would they please pass it on by PM rather than posting it on the Forum?

There are limits, chaps, and spying on the dead and dying goes just a tad beyond them, IMHO.

Thanks

GA

Member for

24 years 2 months

Now that's terrible!!

Who on earth would fake that kind of thing??

Who ever thought it was funny to use them as the aircraft involved, need to be locked up!

I agree.

And why is a 'marketing company' posting them?

Not only the crash circumstances are very peculiar, but so is the behaviour of some people. Like the man claiming to have received a text message from his cousin.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Its amazing how someone can be so cruel as to try and put together such photos. Surely, their only aim in making these photos was to make profit out of this terrible tragedy.

I find it just as hard to believe that some pathetic excuse of a forum member who constantly rates threads with one-star has done the same with this one.

Grow up.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Absolutely gobsmacked about this crash.

I heard about it Sunday lunchtime about an hour before I was due to go to the airport, leaving a horrible sickly feeling. This was made worse as I have an affection for Helios having flown with them to Larnaca last year. A very sad time for the those involved and as Tom says, I suspect the end could be in store for the airline.

My best wishes to all.

All air crashes are unique, but this one for me stands out as, prima facie, something that I've never seen before. If this is a complete accident, and I pray it is, then this is a strng of events we have never seen before and the results of the investigation will make very interesting and thought provocing reading. However, I find the circumstances so unique that I'm sure there is a lot more to this story than we currently know.

A terrible month for aviation.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Theres something sinister like the marie celeste about this crash. Surely it doesn't take three hours to fly the 575 (approx) miles from Larnaca to Athens, so where did the plane go? Did the autopilot make it circle for more than an hour at Athens? It didn't run out of fuel judging by all the fires in the crash, do did the F16's somehow bring it down perhaps so as not to endanger Athens?
Also the FA's have portable oxygen on board to carry to passengers if they suffer heart problems etc, surely someone would have been able to ressusitate the captain or copilot? This case is so intriguing I dont know why exactly, but it must have been so horrible for all those passengers slowy passing out like that.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Hi all

Quote: Any thoughts gentlemen?

Only that the marketing outfit concerned should hang their heads very low for trying to exploit this tragedy with their fake photos, as shown by using images of a 738.
If you wonder about the responsibility for these photos read the "Important info about the images..." link on their other pages to see how proud they are of the copyright.
A sad effort on several levels!

A sad effort that becomes even more sad as time passes. If they can't hang themselves someone must hang them or crack their website or give their details to the police. They dare to post new pictures with the two exits removed claiming that these are now not fake !

Shame to some people.. can't someone do something about this ? Can people post fake pictures like that and especially of F16 (these are not greek ones) just to get some traffic in their pathetic marketing company ?

Cheers

ps. Icarus I suggest you remove the link or somehow break it into parts especially removing the company's name as I hate to see these guys being advertised. This is exactly what they wanted and google will soon help on that as it will find the link.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Not an official report, but an interesting read anyway.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/09/06/news/crash.php

That is interesting, official or not. It certainly appears to be the classic case of not one major contributing factor but a combination of many.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Very interesting reading indeed. I am sure we will see some regs about cockpit language barriers now as one could say if they had both been able to communicate they may not have been a crash. (Based on that article)

Member for

20 years 11 months

That is truly hard to comprehend how something like that could happen on the flightdeck of a modern jetliner in 2005

Member for

20 years 10 months

There was a huge problem with the flight crews systems knowledge if they were sure the aircraft was indicating a takeoff configuration problem and not a pressurization issue. You'd also think that the O2 masks dropping in the back would be a good indicator that your cabin altitude is climbing over 14,000'.

Communication issues or not, there is no excuse for this.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Still don't have a clue why the CPT was in the back of the cabin if there was a pressureisation issue. If he was there because they never knew about it, why did the F/O have his mask on.

dme

Member for

18 years 5 months

Helios 737 crash

Following the Helios 737 crash in Greece recently, I managed to get a few copies of how the Cyprus press had reported the crash.

It seems there was alot of speculation and confusion over this disaster but it amazed me how the press seemed to assume so much without any real proof of what happened.

There was a report that the German Pilot was once on Jet2s books but failed a simulator test, it also mentions that the aircraft ( on auto pilot ) circled close to Athens a couple of times prior to it running out of fuel, they even mention that once the fuel run out, the cockpit door opened and someone was able to get inside as they reckon there is evidence the plane hit the mountain belly first. this would mean someone was trying to fly the plane.
It also states that this particular 737 was only cleared to fly at 28,000ft when most 737s are able to cruise at 35,000ft.

Going back to the plane being on auto pilot circling near to athens, who would have programmed the auto pilot to do that manouver, was someone flying the plane ??

The whole thing is a mystery and I would have thought that the press would have been better keeping quite instead of reporting wild speculation which does no good for the airline industry nor for pilots. The sooner the full facts are released the better.

I know this accident happened a while ago and I am only bringing it up now, but I have only just received the press reports.

No doubt this will generate a number of replies, it will be interesting to hear your views.

Regards

Nordjet415

Member for

24 years 2 months

On the Subject of it having a holding pattern - AFAIK thats what it will do when it runs out of Flight Plan to Execute

On the Subject of Altitude - The Alt of a flight is based on a variety of conditions including weight, wind, restrictions, length etc. Just because typically they cruise 35-39 does not mean this aircraft had to

There has already been an offical statement as to factors involved in the crash. I cant find a link but it was posted.

The Press will never keep quiet, making noise, wether fact or fiction, sells papers...

Member for

19 years 11 months

We've already "done" this subject, so I've merged the threads.

GA

Member for

20 years 6 months

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-2396691,00.html

"The cockpit switch that killed 121 people on a passenger jet"

October 10, 2006
By Sam Knight
Times Online

The cabin pressure control system of a Boeing 737. The circled switch toggles between an automatic, manual and "alternate" control of the air pressure. On the Helios flight, it was set to manual

Member for

17 years 5 months

I was in Greece at the time (Skiathos) one of the northern islands. This was all other the papers for about to days and the news for a week but none of the greeks to be honest were that botherd , the english holiday makers showed more sympothy.