airbus a380

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

MSN0002 flies to Airbus Finkenwerder on Wednesday 9th Nov. I believe Queen Mary 2 sails in the day before! Two giants in two days!

Member for

19 years 11 months

MSN002 in the air!

Edit:
MSN002 (F-WXXL) had yesterday, 3rd November 2005, its first flight.
http://events.airbus.com/A380/Images/MME/3578.JPG

Meanwhile MSN002’s maiden sortie yesterday lasted 3h, during which all systems were checked out and the whole flight envelope cleared.
After completion of checks in the coming days, MSN002 will be ferried to Airbus’s Hamburg Finkenwerder plant where it will undergo installation a full cabin interior.
Once completed, MSN002 will undertake the development and certification effort for cabin and cargo systems, and perform the “early long range” flights with representative passenger loads using Airbus staff along with further airport compatibility trials.

Sources: Eads.net - Third A380 Performs Successful First Flight
Flight International - Third A380 flies as demo tour is postponed

Member for

19 years

The more I think about it, the more I wonder... Why do Emirates need 45 A380's?! Sure, a few of them will be used for Emirates SkyCargo, but from what I've read, no more than 10.

Member for

19 years

The more I think about it, the more I wonder... Why do Emirates need 45 A380's?! Sure, a few of them will be used for Emirates SkyCargo, but from what I've read, no more than 10.

Going into the leasing business? :confused:

Member for

19 years 9 months

As the decks of A380 are loaded with the pressurization, like the upper deck of 747 and unlike the main deck of A300/340 series or Tristar, DC-10, B777, Il-86 or so, it might be tricky to move the staircase openings around. The 380F has a narrower staircase across the width of the plane, but F is structurally rather different...

I am not sure what you mean by this. The whole fuselage is pressurized on all of these aircraft. Having said that,it is highly unlikely that the staircases are going to be movable without major structural modification.

S.B.

Member for

18 years 9 months

Deck loads...

I am not sure what you mean by this. The whole fuselage is pressurized on all of these aircraft. Having said that,it is highly unlikely that the staircases are going to be movable without major structural modification.

S.B.

On a pressurized aircraft with circular cross-section, like A300/310/330/340, B777, DC-10/MD-11, Tristar, Il-86/96, the pressure loads are distributed roughly uniformly around the circular fuselage frames. They are put in tension, but remain circles. Therefore the deck only needs to bear the weight of the cargo/passengers. It can be relatively weak and light, and it can easily incorporate holes for stairways, lifts, be weakened for extra headroom or reinforced where necessary.

But if the aircraft cross-section is not a circle, like in the front end of B747 or A380, the pressurization load would try to deform the frames out of shape - to a more circular shape.

Therefore the decks must work in tension to prevent the sidewalls from bending outwards. Which means the decks must be stronger and heavier and therefore the inclusion or moving of holes is difficult, as it has to provide reinforcements around where the deck is not working to keep frames in shape.