Can you help me with Aircraft ID's?

Member for

13 years 11 months

Hi Everyone, It's my first post so the question may be a little niave but it's something that I see regularly in the magazine and when I'm browsing pictures on the net. If for instance I saw a photo of a Boeing 757-200 and it was listed as 757-223. Obviously the 757 is the type and the 2 is the 200 variant, but where does the 23 at the the end come from at the end. The registration was N177AN so it presumably has nothing to do with that, and this seems to happen on all types not just the 757, (I just used this example as it was handy) Help in understanding this would be gratley appreciated! Thanks woodster757
Original post

Member for

14 years

As far as I am aware this is slightly changed as each customer customizes each aircraft when they order it, you will find with carriers, i.e. qantas who buy the aircraft new they will all be B7X7-X38 (I think, rusty memory) well thats it the two numbers signify their customisation, By the way, welcome to the forum
Profile picture for user Skymonster

Member for

15 years 3 months

The 2nd and 3rd digits in the set (sometimes there are four or even five positions for something like a 777-31HER) is the Boeing assigned customer number - the customer for which the aircraft was built - and doesn't change through the life of the aircraft. 23 is the customer number assigned to American Airlines. Try this link: http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0048.shtml Consider that many aircraft are now build for leasing companies, so designations like x3A and xY0 give no clue as to the first airline an aircraft was operated for - in these two examples 3A is assigned to AWAS and Y0 to GPA. Andy

Member for

13 years 11 months

Thanks for the reply and the welcome, so how do photographers know which variant they have snapped, is it by logging the registration and then cross referencing this info in a book? Does anyone know of this book / books?
Profile picture for user Skymonster

Member for

15 years 3 months

Thanks for the reply and the welcome, so how do photographers know which variant they have snapped, is it by logging the registration and then cross referencing this info in a book? Does anyone know of this book / books?
Yes... Try "Jet Airliner Production List Volume I - Boeing" published by the Aviation Hobby Shop every two years. The companion volume II lists all jet aircraft other than those built by Boeing, published in alternate years between the Boeing book. Andy

Member for

13 years 11 months

Cheers chaps, Good effort. woodster757