NWA is getting rid of airplanes (not DC9's)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 11 months

I found this on another web board:

NWA won court permission to cancel leases on 106 planes including 49 Saab turboprops, 27 A-320’s & A319’s, 12 B747’s and 15 CRJ’s subleased to Pinnacle Airlines.

I knew about the Saabs and CRJs but the A319/320 and B747's are a suprise. Actually, not that much of a suprise since they are in Chap. 11 protection.

Original post

Member for

20 years 11 months

I'm surprised that the DC-9s aren't going as well. You'd think that they'd get rid of older, less reliable aircraft. Are there any airlines that aren't under Chapter 11 protection?

Cheers,
Paul

Member for

20 years 11 months

Every US airline other than NWA, Delta, USAirways and United are NOT in Chapter 11.

The DC9's are wholy owned by NWA so unless they sold them (and who would buy) there is no financial gain for eliminating them at this time. The aircraft that they are getting rid of are leased so they won't have the aircraft as well as the lease payments that go with them. You're right though, there is a point that old/less efficient aircraft become more expensive even if they are paid for.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Every US airline other than NWA, Delta, USAirways and United are in Chapter 11.

So does that include the likes of Southwest, Continental, Frontier, AirTran etc?

[QUOTE=The DC9's are wholy owned by NWA so unless they sold them (and who would buy) there is no financial gain for eliminating them at this time. The aircraft that they are getting rid of are leased so they won't have the aircraft as well as the lease payments that go with them. You're right though, there is a point that old/less efficient aircraft become more expensive even if they are paid for.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense now, why get rid of something that could still create a loss. (Slaps forehead in realisation.) ;)

Cheers,
Paul

Member for

20 years 11 months

I edited my post, I didn't include the word NOT which makes a big difference. :) So, every airline other than those 4 are not in Chapter 11 protection.