L1011

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

why did it's career end so early? I always thought it was a much safer and more efficient plane than the DC-10.. any plans for Lockheed to return into the civilian business?

Original post

Member for

20 years 10 months

From what I've read, the L1011 was delayed due to the engine manufacturer Rolls Royce going bankrupt. I guess it would cost too much to reconfigure the systems for another type of engine. Because of this, McDonnell Douglas was able to get the DC-10 out before Lockheed's L1011. The L1011's late arrival into the three-engined wide-body market cost the company many orders to McDonnell Douglas. Even though the L1011 was more technologically advanced than the DC-10, McDonnell Douglas pretty much had the market cornered. As for Lockheed moving back into commerical aviation, I think that in an industry where about a half-dozen companies control the civilian aviation market, Lockheed will stay with their high-end military, and NASA contracts, as they have significant competition in that arena from Boeing and EADS. I hope this helps. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Cheers,
Paul