EU-US Open Skies Agreed!

Profile picture for user Mark L

Member for

16 years 6 months

Wow, it looks like it has been confirmed. It needs to be ratified by the EU and US governments, but it looks like an almost totally liberalised air market between the EU and the USA. It even seems to have removed Bermuda 2! :eek:
Original post
Profile picture for user RIPConcorde

Member for

15 years 7 months

Oh no, that could spell an end to all this much needed regional expansion if all the airlines can fight to get into LHR!
Profile picture for user Mark L

Member for

16 years 6 months

Yes, because there are so many free slots available for that to happen! :D This can only be excellent news for the regions now the market is completely open. Lufthansa 747s at Birmingham anyone? ;)

Member for

14 years 11 months

The EU have actually done some good for once ;) Seriously though, some predictions BA - Move ATL, DFW, IAH from LGW to LHR ASAP AA - Move DFW from LGW to LHR ASAP. As for RDU, I suppose that depends where the pharmacutical companies want it to serve, so it may stay at LGW UA - Probaby axe LHR-JFK and use the slot for LHR-DEN CO - Try to get slots for LHR-IAH and EWR ASAP. Probably will keep some EWR flights and CLE at LGW in the long term US - Wll probably want to move to LHR, but might not be a top priority DL, NW - Will want to serve LHR but their financial situations might delay this for a while. In the long term I cant see these airlines at LGW As for bmi, suppose MAN-ORD will go (or transfered to UA) and they will look to begin LHR-JFK/EWR/BOS/ORD/IAD/MIA/LAX/SFO. Tthey wil just need to find some planes somewhere Also there will probably be extended codeshares between AA/BA, BD/UA and VS/CO
Profile picture for user RIPConcorde

Member for

15 years 7 months

Yes, because there are so many free slots available for that to happen! :D This can only be excellent news for the regions now the market is completely open. Lufthansa 747s at Birmingham anyone? ;)
That's why there will be a fight. ;)

Member for

14 years 4 months

Fantastic news. I am sure that the UK will become home to a few European heavies due to the proximity to the atlantic and oil prices. Can only be good news for MAN and BHX. lee
Profile picture for user Spence_CWL

Member for

15 years 2 months

Given the limited number of available slots at LHR, I think Stansted will be the new hotbed for London expansion.