Alpha One Yet Again (Merged)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 11 months

Hi

I could'nt belive my eyes when i saw this. Guess who's on the wanadoo home page today. Mr Halstead's & His new Airline Alphaone, He's done an Exclusive interview for them.

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/travel/holidayideas/alphaone.htm?linkfrom=Today&link=sub3_link1&article=TODtravel_alphaone

Heres the full interview

Prepared for take-off

It's no surprise that Martin Halstead's been dubbed the Baby Branson - at 19 he's already set up his own airline, AlphaOne, which will fly from the Isle of Man to Edinburgh, Cardiff and Southampton from today.

Meera Dattani catches up with the teenage entrepreneur to find out how he became managing director and founder of his own business.

What gave you the idea to launch AlphaOne?
I was training to be a pilot, but the job situation for pilots was dire at the time. I was chatting to a friend in a restaurant and joked that it'd be easier to start an airline than get a job with one. I thought it'd impress the girls too!

When did you first develop your passion for flying?
When I was little my father moved to Prague. I was six when I first flew there to see him and I loved the flight. I had my first flying lesson at 14 and I've just finished my commercial training.

Was it an easy decision to leave school midway through your A-Levels?
I was 17 when I was accepted on the Oxford Aviation training course. I couldn't concentrate at school and I spoke to my principal who agreed I'd be better off pursuing my dream. Most of my friends are in their second year of university - sometimes I feel I'm missing out but I enjoy what I do and I don't envy them.

Were there moments you felt like giving up?
At least once a day! The trick was to work out each problem slowly without panicking.

What made you decide on the Isle of Man route?
We had long talks with the Isle of Man government. Other airlines fly there, but not on these routes and because the Isle of Man is an offshore tax haven, it's popular with businesses - the route caters for business travellers. But it's also a beautiful place to visit.

So when will the venture be taking off?
We'll be flying twice daily to Edinburgh from 14 December. Around January, we'll start the Cardiff route, and Southampton in February.

Which routes are next on your list?
It's all under wraps at this stage. It's a competitive industry and news travels fast!

And what do you get on-board?
There'll be a full complimentary bar - champagne included - and light snacks

How did you borrow the money to set up AlphaOne?
It came from a variety of sources, including a Middle Eastern pilot I met during training. Some funds came from the flight simulation software that I designed when I was 15. I couldn't afford more flying lessons so designing the software was the next best thing. Ten days before I turned 16, I sold my share in the company.

How do you think your age has affected the way people treat you?
There's a funny divide in the industry. Some people are welcoming and ignore my age as they know I know what I'm talking about. Others assume I don't know what I'm doing just because of my age. Friends and family have been supportive - I've convinced the ones who found it hard to believe!

Are you fed up of being called Baby Branson?
Well, it's flattering and good for PR but at the end of day, I want to be known as Martin. I'd like to emulate Branson's success though. He's given me great advice about how to sell myself and the brand.

You're clearly the ambitious type - what's next?
Not sure yet, but I'd like to branch out. I've got meetings with a TV production company and record company. Right now, I'm focusing on the airline, which I want to nurture and then pass onto someone else.

And finally, where do you holiday and what's your dream break?
Recently, I've been to Hong Kong, Mumbai, Nice, Dubai and Bangkok. My favourite place is Dresden in Germany, where my dad lives. My dream is to visit Mauritius - but I'm going to wait till I get married!

Ten things to do on the Isle of Man

The Isle of Man lies in the Irish Sea, less than 60 miles west of the Lancashire coastline. It's just 33 miles long and 13 miles wide - over 40 per cent of the island is uninhabited. It has its own currency and Manx language, although the spoken tongue is English and UK currency is accepted everywhere

1. Travel on the island's Victorian transport system which includes the Isle of Man Steam Railway and Douglas horse trams.

2. Visit Tynwald Mills Craft Centre in lovely St John, home to over 30 speciality shops which sell everything from toys to clothes.

3. Animal lovers can visit the Mann Cat Sanctuary, Santon, and the Home of Rest for Old Horses near Douglas.

4. Join a tour and visit the Isle of Man's famous film locations ? the island?s scenery has been used in more than 25 films and TV series in recent years

5. Take a trip on the pleasure boat Karina to appreciate the dramatic landscape and coast from the sea.

6. Take a trip on the pleasure boat Karina to appreciate the dramatic landscape and coast from the sea.

7. Get at one with nature in the lovely Ballalheannagh gardens, to the west of Laxey.

8. Take kids to the Wet Zone, Manxland, Curraghs Wildlife Park, Onchan Pleasure Park and the interactive hi-tech Manx Museum and House of Manannan.

9. Go on a golfing break - with nine quality golf courses on the island, golfers are in for a treat.

10. Chill out at the Manx mountain and coastal glens, pockets of beauty with waterfalls, deep rock pools and lush vegetation.

Member for

19 years 9 months

K9 is a good code for AlphaOne - because they've made a right DOG's dinner of it!

Andy

Member for

18 years 6 months

Why if he wants to be called Martin does his "website" ask "what's next for baby branson?"

Member for

18 years 4 months

Said wasn't going to post in here but oh well...

I thought it'd impress the girls too!

Hilarious.

Why if he wants to be called Martin does his "website" ask "what's next for baby branson?"

Along with his "airline," the website is a bit slow too.

Member for

18 years 7 months

SOU been put back then?

Member for

20 years

report on the BBC website
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/isle_of_man/4528164.stm
maintenance delays this time!

Fledgling airline flight delayed

AlphaOne's first flight was grounded
The first flight of a new airline, founded by a teenager, was grounded on Wednesday at the Isle of Man.
AlphaOne airways had to scrap its first flight from the Isle of Man to Edinburgh at 0815 GMT due to maintenance delays.

However a statement from the airline said a flight planned for 1815 GMT would go ahead.

The airline founded by Martin Halstead, 19, plans to expand its services in the New Year.

An airline spokeswoman said passengers booked on the cancelled flight have been offered a full refund and the opportunity to fly on the later flight.

Alpha One is operating its first route with a smaller aircraft during December, introducing the 18-seat Jetstream 31 from the New Year.

Call centre

Delays in pilot training and administration last month mean that scheduled flights could not start until December.

While problems with its website meant flights had to be booked via a call centre.

Mr Halstead, 19, from Oxfordshire, had planned to operate between Oxford and Cambridge, but then scrapped the route.

Educated at Abingdon School in Oxfordshire, Mr Halstead gave up his A-levels in 2003 to pursue a pilot's career.

Additional services are planned between the Isle of Man, Southampton and Cardiff International.

Member for

21 years

He is getting incredibly desperate. Its very unfair that A1 cite "maintenance delays" as the reason for the hold up.

Edited by Moggy - Libellous statements based on hearsay are not acceptable here.

Member for

19 years

Welcome to the board new member. Interesting question as a first post?

I said at least one passenger was left stranded. In fact it turns out that 3 passengers were left stranded at EDI for this mornings flight. Source Edinburgh Airport.

I suspect Rockjock was the one passenger stranded at I.O.M. :D although he denies buying a ticket :D

As our man at the center of the 'action' or 'non action' I hope he is camping out in the terminal for this evening's on the spot report! :p

Member for

20 years 1 month

Why do the BBC always give him so much publicity!!!

There are 3 videos of him speaking, making the airline look good.
Then there was the radio interviews etc.

The BBC must adore A1

Edited by Moggy - Libellous statements are not acceptable here.

Member for

19 years

No A.O.C.

NEW AIRLINE FACES MORE DELAYS
A TEENAGER'S dream of launching his own airline could face further delays after it was revealed the company doesn't have an operating licence.
Martin Halstead's Alpha One Airways was due to start flights from the Island to Southampton and Blackpool last month.

The launch was postponed just days before the first flight was due to take off.

'Delays in pilot training and administration' were blamed.

A new schedule was announced with the maiden flight expected to be to Edinburgh tomorrow.

The airline, run by 19-year-old Mr Halstead, said it had an air operator's certificate in place.

However, on Friday the Civil Aviation Authority confirmed Alpha One doesn't have a licence and the organisation is trying to clarify the position with the company.

'Alpha One is not an airline – it does not hold an air operating certificate,' a CAA spokesman said.

'If it is going to operate flights it has to arrange for them to be operated by a licensed airline – an air operating certificate holder.

'It is the responsibility of Alpha One to meet these requirements.'

A spokesman for Alpha One said the company was to operate under another airline, Loveair.

However, the airline won't now be using Loveair's aircraft and therefore can't use that company's certificate.

Despite the uncertainty over the air operator's licence, the company still hopes to fly tomorrow as planned
13 December 2005

This would seem to be the problem, by changing the aircraft, the A.O.C. is not applicable?

Member for

18 years 7 months

Well, it appears they've got something in the air, in a way of sorts.

I wonder how long he can afford to keep doing it that way, though. :(

Member for

18 years 4 months

I think it's safe to say we won't see MH on this forum again, since he'll be flamed by some people for this failure so far, and even if it does take off, he'll be busy.

Member for

19 years 10 months

I see their website is still under construction when you click on any of their links

Member for

19 years 10 months

Edited - I got completely the wrong end of the stick because of the photo on the beeb article at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/4527680.stm

I see someone else is taking the first route he had planned:

http://www.skycommuter.com/ are starting Oxford - Cambridge.

Weird but if you click on their make a booking button and go to their terms and conditions at the bottom of the page it says at the very top of the T&C page that it's Alpha One

Member for

20 years 1 month

However a statement from the airline said a flight planned for 1815 GMT would go ahead.

Unfortunately that didn't happen either, I did keep an eye out as I said, but all I could see was the word 'Cancelled' next to the flight on the departures board...

Member for

20 years 1 month

Unfortunately that didn't happen either, I did keep an eye out as I said, but all I could see was the word 'Cancelled' next to the flight on the departures board...

Haha...no suprise again

Member for

19 years 9 months

So we believe AlphaOne didn't operate at all yesterday then?

What now...? I guess that the entire farce has now officially lost all credibility and the file can indeed be passed to Watchdog to let them decide whether the whole things was indeed a scam from the outset?

Andy

Member for

18 years 6 months

BBC does seem to have an incredible degree of faith in Halstead considering he has consistently failed to deliver on any promise he has made.

Member for

18 years 4 months

I suspect Rockjock was the one passenger stranded at I.O.M. :D although he denies buying a ticket :D

As our man at the center of the 'action' or 'non action' I hope he is camping out in the terminal for this evening's on the spot report! :p

NewForest - You must be joking! I'm in Edinburgh today but took the 15.00 BA IOM - GLA flight. Takes a little shorter time than the alphaone "direct route" !!!

Does anyone know if Alphaone has made any flights yet? Been too busy to start digging yet.

I do see however that the EDI flight board just says Please Contact your airline...