Ryanair says passengers are at wrong airport!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

Ryanair yesterday stepped up its attacks on Birmingham International Airport after its staff appeared outside the airport's terminals to warn passengers they were at the "wrong airport" for low fares.

The Irish no-frills airline pulled all but one route out of BIA last year in favour of establishing a base at Nottingham East Midlands Airport.

Yesterday Ryanair project manager Bridget Dowling and her team handed out 50 free flights from NEMA to passengers outside BIA.

She said: "If you're looking for the lowest fares to Europe, then fly from NEMA."

The Ryanair stunt follows Tuesday's relaunch of British Airways' CitiExpress operation into a no-frills airline, with Birmingham one of its main bases.

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/birminghampost/news/tm_objectid=16576111%26method=full%26siteid=50002-name_page.html

Have they ever done anything like this before!? I've never heard of an airline ever having such a grudge against an airport, they have a go at BHX at every opportunity...

It's now at the point where you’re not surprised..... :rolleyes:

Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

Quite disgracefull behaviour.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Somebody, somewhere with a vendetta againt the airport, Wasn't the original argument about landing fees???

Member for

19 years 8 months

For once, I don't see any major issue with what Ryanair are doing... Firstly, it occurs to me that its not BHX so much that they're after, rather its BA Connect. Ryanair don't do much out of BHX, so its natural that if they want to encourage people to fly with them rather than with BA punters are going to have to fly from EMA - I doubt that the free flights they were giving away were on EasyJet or BMIBaby, so its really a Ryanair promotion rather than an EMA promotion. Secondly, all they are doing is promoting their own product adjacent to a location where the competition operates from - such advertising is not uncommon in this country, and happens not only in airlines but in many other industries too.

Andy

Member for

21 years

I agree with Skymonster, this is far from the first time Ryanair have done something like this. A few years ago you used to hear increasingly outlandish stories, the last one I remember involved a tank!

Its usually between Easyjet and Ryanair, but FlyBe and BA have also been targeted, and I believe hit back as well! (not with a tank though :p )

Member for

18 years 3 months

Ryanair never fail to provide a laugh or two, do they?

Member for

20 years 8 months

Or maybe Ryanair throwing their toys out the pram because BHX wouldn't let them have thier own way..... :rolleyes:

EDIT:Completley not related I have passed post number 2000, woooo :cool:

Member for

20 years 5 months

Or maybe Ryanair throwing their toys out the pram because BHX wouldn't let them have thier own way..... :rolleyes:

EDIT:Completley not related I have passed post number 2000, woooo :cool:

Precisely my train of thought

Member for

18 years 11 months

No-one should really be surprised at FR's increasingly childish behaviour particularly when they're under competition - perhaps it's just as well they don't operate out of Belfast!

Member for

24 years 2 months

It's just gimmickry. Andy is right. Haven't you ever been outside one nightclub/store/pub etc., and been offered tickets or a discount at the one down the road? It's called competition, and unless you're a BA shareholder I don't see why you're worried. I see very little problem in this. BHX is 30 minutes nearer to me than NEMA, but if I want to got to a destination and the fare is cheaper from NEMA than BHX that's where I'll fly from. Think the parkings cheaper at NEMA as well.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

20 years 1 month

It's just gimmickry. Andy is right. Haven't you ever been outside one nightclub/store/pub etc., and been offered tickets or a discount at the one down the road? It's called competition, and unless you're a BA shareholder I don't see why you're worried. I see very little problem in this. BHX is 30 minutes nearer to me than NEMA, but if I want to got to a destination and the fare is cheaper from NEMA than BHX that's where I'll fly from. Think the parkings cheaper at NEMA as well.

Regards,

kev35

correct about the parking. I have pre booked at an offsite carpark for August at EMA for 3 weeks £59 !!!!

Two weeks at brum just cost me over £100 :eek:

Member for

24 years 2 months

No-one should really be surprised at FR's increasingly childish behaviour particularly when they're under competition - perhaps it's just as well they don't operate out of Belfast!

Wish they would then I could go down to BHD for when they protest to collect free flight vouchers off michael!

Member for

18 years 5 months

stunt

didnt virgin pull a stunt with ba once ? cant really remember but it was along the lines of boarding a ba aircraft as a demo,
anyone shed any light on that ?

Member for

18 years 11 months

Well i personally haven't heard of that happening before?!
I really can't see why they have a go at BHX themselves as BHX is doing quite well itself but because FR want the cheapest airports to fly to/from, they chose NEMA for its cheaper landing fees etc.

Member for

19 years

I like Ryanair's attitude - the only company who'd every even consider doing something as 'ridiculous' as that.

But hey, it worked for them as we're talking about it here!

Member for

20 years 8 months

But hey, it worked for them as we're talking about it here!

Indeed you are right!

It seems BHX has reposnded through this article!

But Peter Vella, Birmingham airport's business development director, said: "Ryanair is obviously desperate to operate more services from Birmingham, in addition to its current three daily Dublin flights, realising the strong market opportunities available in the West Midlands and the excellent facilities available here.

"But we are still waiting for a formal and professional proposal from them.

"Clearly, Ryanair isn't managing to attract people to East Midlands and is struggling against the low cost competition available from Birmingham including BA, bmibaby, flybe, Monarch Scheduled, Germanwings, SkyEurope, Aer Lingus.

"We're always interested expanding our network but we've had no formal approach from Ryanair for at least two years. Instead, it chooses to engage in cheap publicity stunts like this."

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/mail/news/tm_objectid=16575522%26method=full%26siteid=50002-name_page.html

Damn right :D

Member for

18 years 6 months

didnt virgin pull a stunt with ba once ? cant really remember but it was along the lines of boarding a ba aircraft as a demo,
anyone shed any light on that ?

I'm pretty sure that Stelios and a load of his employees all booked seats on the inaugural "go" flight and turned up in easyjet orange uniforms. :D

Member for

18 years 4 months

http://images.airliners.net/photos/photos/8/9/1/991198.jpg