Ryanair bans three passengers for stealing life-jackets

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

I strongly doubt you would be saying that if a flight you were on a flight had to ditch?

Any reassurance is better than none at all, IMHO! :D

I assure you that it I was on a commercial jet that was planning a ditching I'd consider ending up outside the aircraft alive to be such a remote possibility that I would probably be better employed texting my goodbyes, than farting around with a lifejacket I was never going to live to benefit from.

Just to clarify - my original posting in no way condones the actions of the scrotes who stole the jackets. It was a genuine attempt to see if the massed knowledge here confirmed or refuted my theory that underseat jackets are a total placebo, meant to give the passengers something to fiddle around with in the last few minutes of their life, in preference to pointless panic.

Moggy

Member for

18 years 6 months

Just to clarify - my original posting in no way condones the actions of the scrotes who stole the jackets. It was a genuine attempt to see if the massed knowledge here confirmed or refuted my theory that underseat jackets are a total placebo, meant to give the passengers something to fiddle around with in the last few minutes of their life, in preference to pointless panic.

Moggy

Well Moggy you are entitled to your opinion, but I certainly welcome the possibility of surviving a ditching with the use of a life-jacket, rather than (as you said) use the last minutes of my life in some sort of 'pointless panic' :D

Member for

19 years 8 months

Even if you float, if the sharks don't get you (in warm water) the ice cold north Atlantic surely will! :)

Seriously, if the lifejacket gives me one more minute afloat, and if in that minute I can get to a liferaft, then I'll take the lifejacket thankyou. As such, I think that they hold a fairly remote but non-the-less tangible possiblility of preserving life and thus are justified.

Andy

Member for

18 years 5 months

on the subject of....the life jackets didnt look to be doing them much good in Neighbours tonight :p

Member for

20 years

On the Ryanair 737-800 that brought me back to Gothenburg today, the life jackets were pointed out by the cabin crew as being in the overhead panels.

Member for

20 years 5 months

on the subject of....the life jackets didnt look to be doing them much good in Neighbours tonight :p

You poor thing, getting forced into watching that guff!

You were forced, right?

Member for

18 years 5 months

er....yes.....i was, only wanted to see it for the DC-3 :rolleyes: was actually a hot topic at uni today!

Member for

18 years 6 months

You poor thing, getting forced into watching that guff!

You were forced, right?

What is wrong with Neighbours?

It is a perfectly good soap...quite watchable, and even more so with the plane crashing... :p

Member for

20 years 5 months

What is wrong with Neighbours?

It is a perfectly good soap...quite watchable, and even more so with the plane crashing... :p

You do realise, I'm gonna have to poke you in the eyes now, don't you?

Member for

18 years 7 months

I assure you that it I was on a commercial jet that was planning a ditching I'd consider ending up outside the aircraft alive to be such a remote possibility that I would probably be better employed texting my goodbyes, than farting around with a lifejacket I was never going to live to benefit from.
Moggy
So the pilot lines his Airbus glider up for a perfect flare onto water and then the fly-by-wire goes all wobbly because some eeejit has switched his mobile phone on.... :)

It would be like that Etheopia crash all over again.....

Member for

18 years 6 months

So the pilot lines his Airbus glider up for a perfect flare onto water and then the fly-by-wire goes all wobbly because some eeejit has switched his mobile phone on.... :)

lmao. :D

What is the probability of surviving a landing/ditching of a commerical airliner on water?

I always thought the chances were very low, however, with technology and development of safer aircraft these days, has the possibility of survival increased?

Member for

24 years 2 months

What is the probability of surviving a landing/ditching of a commerical airliner on water?

I would guess that was totally dependent on the cause of the descent.

For any reason other than a fuel related one - nil. Any other problem that can make it impossible for the aircraft to maintain altitude will by definition make a successful ditching impossible too.

In the case of a fuel related one, almost certainly very slim.

Moggy

Member for

19 years 11 months

Unless it's a Boeing 314....... :diablo:

Member for

24 years 2 months

Unless it's a Boeing 314....... :diablo:

Stupid boy!

Member for

20 years 5 months

I would guess that was totally dependent on the cause of the descent.

For any reason other than a fuel related one - nil. Any other problem that can make it impossible for the aircraft to maintain altitude will by definition make a successful ditching impossible too.

In the case of a fuel related one, almost certainly very slim.

Moggy

I beleive the DC-8 that ditched and rermained afloat with no casualties ditched to to fuel starvation. That might shoot your theory out of the water, pun definately intended. :D

I'm, googling for info now.

EDIT: DC-9 Ditching

A DC-8 ditching:

05/02/1970 15:50

CARRIER: Antillian Airlines FLIGHT: 980

AIRCRAFT: Douglas DC-9-33CF

REGISTRY: N935F S/N: 47407

ABOARD: 63 FATAL: 23 GROUND:

DETAILS: The flight was scheduled to fly from New York to St.

Maarten. Because poor visibility, the aircraft could not land at St.

Maarten and was diverted to San Juan, Puerto Rico. Five minutes

later the crew was told the weather had improved at St. Maarten and

were directed back. After 3 missed landing attempts at St. Maarten,

the crew asked to be diverted to St. Thomas. By this time the plane

was low on fuel. While flying to St. Thomas, the aircraft ran out of

fuel and ditched into the ocean. Improper management of fuel by the

crew. Inadequate warning given to passengers before the ditching.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Stupid boy!

Please refrain from personal attacks!

You have been warned!

he he... thought I'd try that out. :diablo:

Member for

24 years 2 months

lmao. :D

I always thought the chances were very low, however, with technology and development of safer aircraft these days, has the possibility of survival increased?

Because there have been very few airliners having to intentionally ditch onto water, no-one really knows. I have seen figures quoting a survival rate of upto 60%.

Suffice to say, there have been a number of successful ditchings, the DC9 and 767 incidents mentioned previously and not forgetting the succesful ditching of a 737 into a river, due to both engines flaming out, in Asia only a couple of years ago. In the 737 incident everyone survived the inital ditching, but unfortunately one cabin attendant drowned in the river during the evacuation.

This site - http://www.geocities.com/khlim777_my/asditchingissues.htm#Can has some interesting information.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Neighbours crash i thought was very well filmed to be like what I imagine a real crash would be. Mind you the DC3 did still afloat alot longer (at least 1 hour) than you would expect!! Too bad about David, Liliana and Serene dying! Thank god Sky didnt Bmi star and me are thankful for that :D

Back to Topic before we enter GD teritory!

Member for

18 years 3 months

I'm guessing in a compartment in the PSU (overhead panel) the same as on DBA 737's.

1L.

and
On the Ryanair 737-800 that brought me back to Gothenburg today, the life jackets were pointed out by the cabin crew as being in the overhead panels.

1L.

Yep, watch your head. They're up with the oxygen masks to stop them going on the hop and so the cabin checks are reduced. I like the jokes, can just see the cabin crew trying to flog lifejackets, how about a deluxe version with parachute. :D

Redsquare - Ryanair F/O

Member for

24 years 2 months

How do you access them if they are in the Overhead??? Does the cpt have to release the panel from the cockpit to let people get life jackets??