Who owns BA?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

I usually lurk in the "Historic" forum and have sneaked in here to seek assistance.
I'm sure I remember reading a couple of years ago that HM Government still have a large stake in BA - not all of it transparent. Does anyone know how much WE actually own of BA?
This question is in relation to the apparently doubtful future of the BA Airliner Collection at RAFM Cosford.
Thanks, Roger Smith.

Original post

Member for

18 years 6 months

It doesn't specifically answer your question but I believe that the majority of BA shares (50% + 1) have to be registered to owners in the UK otherwise the airline will not be classified as being a British airline for the purposes of various air service agreements.

Member for

18 years 6 months

From the BA 2004/05 annual report (confirming what I have just written)

In order to protect the operating rights of the company, the number of ordinary shares held by non-UK nationals is monitored, as is the number of ordinary shares held by persons who are not nationals of states comprising the European Economic Area. At March 31, 2005, 38 per cent of the ordinary shares of the company were held by non-UK nationals (2004: 31 per cent) and 16 per cent of the ordinary shares were held by persons who were not nationals of states comprising the European Economic Area (2004: 22 per cent). Although there are no large interests of single or associated non-UK nationals, the directors cannot rule out the possibility that they may be
required to exercise their powers to restrict non-UK or non-EEA share ownership in order to protect the company’s operating rights.

Member for

18 years 6 months

and again
========================
Shareholders
As at May 11, 2005 there were 236,786 shareholders (May 12, 2004: 244,738). An analysis is given below showing the share of that group of the total number of shareholders and then that groups share of the total number of shares.

Individuals 98.08 13.02
Bank or Nominee 1.59 83.75
Insurance companies 0.02 0.14
Pension trusts 0.01 0.92
Investment trusts 0.02 0.01
Other corporate bodies 0.28 2.16

So banks comprise only 1.59% of shareholders but hold 83.75% of the total allocated shares. It doesn't say who the banks are though.

Member for

18 years 3 months

yea thts the question i would have asked some time soon i wounder but you know somone must know becasue sir rishard branson is the owner of the virgin network

Member for

18 years 6 months

Virgin Atlantic was a publically quoted company but sometime back Branson bought up all the shares to take back into private ownership.

As a public company BA are required under the Companies Act 1985 to maintain a register of shares and this is a public document that can be inspected at their registered office. I presume you could also (for a price) download it from the Companies House website.

Member for

19 years

and again
========================
Bank or Nominee 1.59 83.75

So banks comprise only 1.59% of shareholders but hold 83.75% of the total allocated shares. It doesn't say who the banks are though.

Thanks ZHR - any idea what the term "Nominee" might cover - could that include HMG?

Roger Smith.

Member for

18 years 6 months

I don't think so.

My pension scheme when I worked in the electricty supply industry was run by 'electricty supply nominees' which I think meant that it was a board of trustees holding the money in trust for the employees.

I assume (knowing nothing here) that there is some kind of financial trust holding shares, perhaps one of the financing companies that lease aircraft to BA.

I am prepared to be corrected if I am wrong!

Member for

19 years 2 months

Virgin Atlantic was a publically quoted company but sometime back Branson bought up all the shares to take back into private ownership.
yea thts the question i would have asked some time soon i wounder but you know somone must know becasue sir rishard branson is the owner of the virgin network

The actual details on Virgin Atlantic ownership are...
On 20 December 1999 Richard Branson signed an agreement to sell a 49% stake of Virgin Atlantic to Singapore Airlines to form a unique global partnership. The cost of the transaction to Singapore Airlines was £600.25 million, which included a capital injection of £49 million and valued Virgin Atlantic at a minimum of £1.225 billion. The deal was finalised in 2000. Richard retains the controlling 51% stake in the airline. Source www.virgin-atlantic.com

Member for

18 years 6 months

diesel1, thanks. Ah yes, I'd forgotten he flogged the shares off to SIA.