Ryanair & winglets

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 1 month

For any of you that have ryanair visiting your airport you might have noticed that they now sport boeing blended winglets,being a local of dublin nearly every second one has them fitted,all newly delivered aircraft from january on-wards have them fitted during production & alot of the others have them retro-fitted during any down time.I've got a good few photos of them already,here's my favourites
EI-DCJ

EI-CSW
Sorry about quality of this one.

EI-DLF

Original post

Member for

20 years 10 months

Yep we know, myself and Paul flew over to DUB from LBA on EI-DLF the day after your photo was taken :).

Member for

20 years 2 months

Just updated my site with the latest Ryanair winglet fitted a/c

Member for

19 years 2 months

20 aircraft fitted with them so far!!! Have yet to see one at my local airport... BHX!

Member for

20 years 8 months

why are they being fitted? yes, i know why technically, but Ryanair? surely they must cost quite a lot to fit - O'leary spending more money than he need do??!!! shock horror!

i might be answering my own question now, but is it that operationally, they'll reduce fuel burn and then in the long run save money?

Member for

24 years 2 months

i might be answering my own question now, but is it that operationally, they'll reduce fuel burn and then in the long run save money?

I think you've cracked it Adam... ? :D

Member for

18 years 3 months

According to initial reports, the winglets are saving an extra 3-6% per flight over non wingletted -800s. In reality this means a 10%+ saving in fuel costs over the A320 on an average Ryanair flight.

The 738 is a couple of million $$ more expensive to buy however so the savings aren't so clear cut for the average airline. Ryanair don't care because they got the 'buy one get one free' deal off Boeing. (Really) :)

BTW, as it seems with all new 737 deliveries, the new aircraft often go 'tech' regularly within the first few weeks; EI-DLF gave up altogether in Eindhoven on Friday. After a month or so of flying they can go for months flat out without a hitch once all the parts are broken in.Wierd.

redsquare

Member for

20 years 11 months

Buy one get one "free" , what utter nonsense, not even Boeing give away 60 million dollar aircraft for nothing

Member for

18 years 3 months

i have to admit there 800s look pretty gud yet to have one at ncl though

Member for

19 years 2 months

Think I've seen one with winglets, looked rather nice even in that awful Ryanair livery;)

Should be interesting to see what Airbus are planning with their A320. Will there ever be a major product without winglets/fences ever again?

Member for

20 years 2 months

Ye those FR 738s in new colours do look awesome with winglets but still not a patch on Globespan what a beauty.

Member for

20 years 10 months

This may sound odd, but I actually think the winglets suit the old FR livery better than the new FR livery. Odd considering I love the new livery!

Member for

20 years 10 months

BTW, as it seems with all new 737 deliveries, the new aircraft often go 'tech' regularly within the first few weeks; EI-DLF gave up altogether in Eindhoven on Friday. After a month or so of flying they can go for months flat out without a hitch once all the parts are broken in.Wierd.

redsquare

Poor old DLF! Suppose it is getting a bit past it ;).

This may sound odd, but I actually think the winglets suit the old FR livery better than the new FR livery. Odd considering I love the new livery.

Member for

21 years

Buy one get one "free" , what utter nonsense, not even Boeing give away 60 million dollar aircraft for nothing

Thats exactly what happened though, depending on how you statistically phrase it.

Member for

18 years 3 months

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on how you view it) it's completely true, with a current list price for a 738 running at a tad under $68 million each minus winglets, Ryanair are paying almost exactly half that. I suppose that's what happens when you order 230 (+190 more on option and quickly being exercised) in a short period. They pay less for a 738 than a Embraer 195 for example. Also, most (80%) are not being leased like all of their rivals therefore keeping the value of the aircraft in the company. :dev2:

They will sell some of the older aircraft for more money than it costs to buy a new one!

Poor old DLF! Suppose it is getting a bit past it ;) .
Yeah the sick puppy tried its best to strand all the passengers. The bill has since been sent to Boeing :eek: (like a car it comes under warranty) haha

redsquare