Virgin A350

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 6 months

There is a dispute about the prospect on a.net about this but most seem to love A vs. B bashing so I though i'd bring it here for some interlectual debate.

I reckon VS will go for the A350 in the long run, after lengthy debate between the B787, I believe it is a matter of when, not if, and we wont see any options until both birds are in the air,

The A346 thing - would VS get rid of it, well I was thinking about it, getting rid of fairly new planes would be stupid i thought at first, but if VS continue on a rapid rate of growth, perhaps they could order the B748 to replace the B744s and bump up A346 route to that or down to the A350 - should they get it, gradually ditching the A346s - or maybe even Virgin Capital, they could lease them out, wouldnt put it past SRB,

Wozza

Original post

Member for

19 years 6 months

There is a dispute about the prospect on a.net about this but most seem to love A vs. B bashing so I though i'd bring it here for some interlectual debate.

I reckon VS will go for the A350 in the long run, after lengthy debate between the B787, I believe it is a matter of when, not if, and we wont see any options until both birds are in the air,

The A346 thing - would VS get rid of it, well I was thinking about it, getting rid of fairly new planes would be stupid i thought at first, but if VS continue on a rapid rate of growth, perhaps they could order the B748 to replace the B744s and bump up A346 route to that or down to the A350 - should they get it, gradually ditching the A346s - or maybe even Virgin Capital, they could lease them out, wouldnt put it past SRB,

Wozza

I just read that thread and had a good laugh as they seem to think they know what each airline is going to do as far as acquisition is concerned. A.net is always good for a good laugh!
As for the rumour of VS getting the A350, anything is possible but I don't see it happening for a few more years as most of their fleet is fairly new with only the 744 needing to be replaced in the future and even then, I don't see that happening for a long time. Maybe in five to ten years is when we can expect VS to introduce a new type to their fleet aside from the A388.
But like I said, anything is possible! Irwan :)

Member for

18 years 6 months

I just read that thread and had a good laugh as they seem to think they know what each airline is going to do as far as acquisition is concerned. A.net is always good for a good laugh!
As for the rumour of VS getting the A350, anything is possible but I don't see it happening for a few more years as most of their fleet is fairly new with only the 744 needing to be replaced in the future and even then, I don't see that happening for a long time. Maybe in five to ten years is when we can expect VS to introduce a new type to their fleet aside from the A388.
But like I said, anything is possible! Irwan :)

A.net is always good for a laugh, I agree, we'll see a fuel efficient point -> Hub aircraft for the supposed BFS and GLA services, but as mentione not for a few years yet, perhaps 2011 - I reckon they may even go for the A380-1000

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well this is the belief from the interior. We reckon the A346 will continue to arrive in large numbers, the A380's will arrive shortly before departure of the B744's to be replaced with a large order for B773-ER. Don't think Virgin will be interested in the A350.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Well this is the belief from the interior. We reckon the A346 will continue to arrive in large numbers, the A380's will arrive shortly before departure of the B744's to be replaced with a large order for B773-ER. Don't think Virgin will be interested in the A350.

That makes sense, shame about the B744s going - i love them, seems logical and we cant doubt an insider,

Wozza

Member for

20 years 5 months

That makes sense, shame about the B744s going - i love them, seems logical and we cant doubt an insider,

Wozza

Well, you can. Not everyone who claims to have inside info actually does.
Having said that, this particular insider is on the ball and not prone to shooting his mouth off.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Interesting opinion. I would have thought (yes, I know, just thought) that Virgin would replace the 744s with 748Is but leave 773ERs out of the equation entirely.

I guess my question, then, is what does this say about the potential of seeing the 748 and 787-sized planes in Virgin's fleet?

Member for

19 years 8 months

Shamlessly taken from Pprune:

The A340-300s are to be replaced by A350-900s,A380s kept on, with the options converted for a "soon" to be announced A380-900 launch / order alongside Emirates and Lufthansa.
A340-600s kept on.

So fleet will be:
A380-900 for the bucket and spade routes
A380-800 for other high density routes (JFK, HKG)
A340-600
A350-900 for exisiting A340 routes

Member for

24 years 2 months

Dan, I can't see Virgin going down the single manufacturer route. Also, 5 A343's are remaining with the fleet long term.

Tig, there is zero discussion at work about 747-800 or 787 but masses about 773.

Member for

19 years 6 months

Dan, I can't see Virgin going down the single manufacturer route. Also, 5 A343's are remaining with the fleet long term.

Tig, there is zero discussion at work about 747-800 or 787 but masses about 773.

I would havbe thought the B773 would be an aircraft similar to the A346 in terms of capacity. Why would Virgin be interested in acquiring such an aircraft?

Member for

20 years 5 months

I would havbe thought the B773 would be an aircraft similar to the A346 in terms of capacity. Why would Virgin be interested in acquiring such an aircraft?

Maybe because it carrys more and goes further. (The 773ER)

Member for

19 years 8 months

Maybe because it carrys more and goes further. (The 773ER)

With reduced hold cargo, as thats where the auxillary fuel tanks are placed?

Its a question,as i dont know. Not a comment to start a AvB thingy.

also rumours on Pprune that Virgin is dumping the A380s with the planes going to Emirates and the options to Etihad..

What ever Virgin does, by playing both manufacturers against each other, it certainly will mean some bl**dy good deals being reached

Member for

20 years 5 months

With reduced hold cargo, as thats where the auxillary fuel tanks are placed?

I'm not totaly sure. I do know that the 773ER does fly further than the A346 and with more payload. Bit how it achieves that, in relation to belly tanks... I'm not sure. The 773ER is wider and can fit an extra seat per row comfortably than the A346. Also the standard config for a 777 is typically more dense that an A340.
All together, the 773ER can fly further with more seats and cargo, if configured that way.

What ever Virgin does, by playing both manufacturers against each other, it certainly will mean some bl**dy good deals being reached

Absolutely!

Member for

18 years 1 month

I don't think YS will but 777's,they compared them against the A346 & choose airbus,an upgraded A346 is doing the rounds,using A350 technonolgy so i thin thats more likley,as for the A350 itself,it depends on whether thet want to fly routes that have that sort of demand,as the A343's are fairly old.

Member for

20 years 5 months

I don't think YS will but 777's,they compared them against the A346 & choose airbus,an upgraded A346 is doing the rounds,using A350 technonolgy so i thin thats more likley,as for the A350 itself,it depends on whether thet want to fly routes that have that sort of demand,as the A343's are fairly old.

Hardly a very decisive analysis.
They ordered more A346's as they already have a fleet of them.
When they first ordered the A346, it was the only one available. The 773ER was a paper plane still far from blueprints.

Now that the 773ER is flying and proving a good percentage better than Boeing promised, its quickly overtaken the A346 in sales. Amassing more orders than it in a shorter ammount of time. Speaks volumes.

The 773ER is a serious contender for VS in the future, IMO.

Member for

24 years 2 months

What Virgin particularly like about the A346 is the cargo volume capacity. Other than that the 773ER is mostly the better aeroplane and makes an ideal 747 replacement.
I heard last week that we have now done a deal with Singapore and are now taking one of their A380's 6 months earlier and they are having one of our later slots. Sounds like its still on the cards then. It makes you wonder if they might need to introduce the 380 6 months earlier (now early/mid 2008) so it wouldn't clash with the intro of another type???

Member for

19 years 6 months

What Virgin particularly like about the A346 is the cargo volume capacity. Other than that the 773ER is mostly the better aeroplane and makes an ideal 747 replacement.
I heard last week that we have now done a deal with Singapore and are now taking one of their A380's 6 months earlier and they are having one of our later slots. Sounds like its still on the cards then. It makes you wonder if they might need to introduce the 380 6 months earlier (now early/mid 2008) so it wouldn't clash with the intro of another type???

That's an interesting move for SIA to be doing. I didn't think they would allow one of their coveted jets to be used by another airline on a revenue flight. But, in this day and age, I guess a buck will go a lot further than just words.

Member for

19 years 8 months

That's an interesting move for SIA to be doing. I didn't think they would allow one of their coveted jets to be used by another airline on a revenue flight. But, in this day and age, I guess a buck will go a lot further than just words.

Singapore airlines does own a 49% stake in Virgin. And they have both chosen the RR engine, shouldnt be much of a problem

Member for

18 years 8 months

They brought some Ilyushin Il-96 from Aeroflot :D

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/JamesB617/00006264.jpg

That be good if they do buy some A350

James

Member for

18 years 9 months

They brought some Ilyushin Il-96 from Aeroflot :D

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/JamesB617/00006264.jpg

That be good if they do buy some A350

James

:D:D:D

Member for

19 years 6 months

Singapore airlines does own a 49% stake in Virgin. And they have both chosen the RR engine, shouldnt be much of a problem

I didn't realize that was the case. Now that makes a lot more sense!