Concorde - best british design award winner!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 6 months

Can't believe no-one has already posted anything about this already, but Concorde was voted the Best British Design Icon Since 1900, according to last nights Culture Show (BBC2).

"Concorde was more than just the most glamorous passenger aircraft ever built, Concorde was a sky goddess. Concorde owes everything to the world of engineers in white coats and little steel-framed glasses and aerodynamicists following the laws of nature. "

Jonathan Glancey

Well done!

And just for those that are interested, here is the top 10:

1. CONCORDE!
2. London Underground Tube Map
3. Submarine Spitfire
4. Mini
5. World Wide Web
6. Routemaster Bus
7. Catseye
8. Tomb Raider
9. Grand Theft Auto
10. K2 Phone Kiosk (red phone box to me!)

Attachments
Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

I voted for Concorde on their website a couple of weeks ago, I suppose I should have made a post about it here as well...? :p

Member for

18 years 4 months

WELL DONE the concord would have personaly prefered the spitfire buy what the heck still a great aircraft.

Member for

18 years 8 months

And just for those that are interested, here is the top 10:

1. CONCORDE!
2. London Underground Tube Map
3. Submarine Spitfire
4. Mini
5. World Wide Web
6. Routemaster Bus
7. Catseye
8. Tomb Raider
9. Grand Theft Auto
10. K2 Phone Kiosk (red phone box to me!)

How can the London Underground Tube Map Beat the Spitfire? :eek:

:D grand theft auto is 9th :p played ever one of the GTA Series and completed them all :D

brilliant that CONCORDE is 1st shame it never fly again :(

James

Member for

18 years 1 month

Concorde wins the hear of the nation!

Save Concorde Group, the campaign appealing to British Airways to return a Concorde to flight for heritage purposes, are thrilled with the outcome of the Great British Design Quest, in which Concorde was voted the UK’s favourite design icon.

Concorde is unique in many ways: the speed, the revolutionary design and engineering, the beautiful shape, and the admiration that she has attracted – perhaps more than any other aircraft. She was, of course, not only the world’s only successful commercial supersonic airliner but also undoubtedly one of the greatest aviation achievements of all time. Although the aircraft was an Anglo-French creation, she remains a potent source of pride in this country.

This winning vote shows what Concorde still means to the British public. It underlines how viable a return to flight could be: the costs might be high, but the value would be infinite. Concorde could still be a peerless ambassador for the UK. On Wednesday, the world watched as Australia opened the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne with a sense of style and pride in all things Australian; it makes one think what effect Concorde would have performing a history-making flypast in the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics.

Thanks to the outcome of this design contest, the Save Concorde Group (SCG) is renewing its appeal to British Airways and the Government to return a Concorde to flight. The group believes that they could meet this challenge without any financial input from British Airways. Whilst the SCG may be home to Concorde enthusiasts from all walks of life, they have many ex-Concorde personnel working alongside them to offer their expertise and knowledge in the predicted work needed to make a Concorde airworthy again. Therefore, they continue to press British Airways to release the information behind their investigation into returning Concorde to flight for heritage purposes and we seek the opportunity to work with all interested parties to bring this marvellous ambassador for British achievement back to the skies.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Save Concorde Group, the campaign appealing to British Airways to return a Concorde to flight for heritage purposes, are thrilled with the outcome of the Great British Design Quest, in which Concorde was voted the UK’s favourite design icon.

Concorde is unique in many ways: the speed, the revolutionary design and engineering, the beautiful shape, and the admiration that she has attracted – perhaps more than any other aircraft. She was, of course, not only the world’s only successful commercial supersonic airliner but also undoubtedly one of the greatest aviation achievements of all time. Although the aircraft was an Anglo-French creation, she remains a potent source of pride in this country.

This winning vote shows what Concorde still means to the British public. It underlines how viable a return to flight could be: the costs might be high, but the value would be infinite. Concorde could still be a peerless ambassador for the UK. On Wednesday, the world watched as Australia opened the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne with a sense of style and pride in all things Australian; it makes one think what effect Concorde would have performing a history-making flypast in the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics.

Thanks to the outcome of this design contest, the Save Concorde Group (SCG) is renewing its appeal to British Airways and the Government to return a Concorde to flight. The group believes that they could meet this challenge without any financial input from British Airways. Whilst the SCG may be home to Concorde enthusiasts from all walks of life, they have many ex-Concorde personnel working alongside them to offer their expertise and knowledge in the predicted work needed to make a Concorde airworthy again. Therefore, they continue to press British Airways to release the information behind their investigation into returning Concorde to flight for heritage purposes and we seek the opportunity to work with all interested parties to bring this marvellous ambassador for British achievement back to the skies.

As much as I'd love to see concorde soar again, it doubt it'll ever happen. That doesn't preclude have a good go at trying to get it done though.

And on topic of the design contest. I can't belieave people were sad enough to nominate a stupid underground map!

Member for

18 years 1 month

As much as I'd love to see concorde soar again, it doubt it'll ever happen.

So many people say that but if you give up easy enough with anything - you'll never succeed...that's why SCG is still going, despite people thinking they'd be dead, buried and forgotten about within 6 months of starting up!

Member for

19 years 11 months

The Concorde will never fly again. Full stop. Period. End of Sentence.

There are no engines. There are no spares. There is no certification. There is no support from the manufacturer.

Unpalatable facts, for sure. But facts nevertheless.

I have to admit that I'm surprised at a graphic designer of Sandy's calibre not appreciating the genius behind the London Underground map. But I digress dangerously, and may have to moderate myself if I go any further. ;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

How can the London Underground Tube Map Beat the Spitfire?

It's one of the finest design concepts ever seen to be honest and one that has successfully been adopted world wide. Think 'simplification' and you'll understand why.

The final vote on The Culture Show was based on the three main contenders, Spitfire, Concorde and tube map. Everything else had already been consigned to 'Top 7' by the time the final vote was launched.

Member for

24 years 2 months

As much as I'd love to see concorde soar again, it doubt it'll ever happen. That doesn't preclude have a good go at trying to get it done though.

And on topic of the design contest. I can't belieave people were sad enough to nominate a stupid underground map!

The underground map is brilliant! I'm rather partial to the mini myself, however.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The underground map is brilliant! I'm rather partial to the mini myself, however.

Ooh isn't that a BMW design these days... ? ;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Ooh isn't that a BMW design these days... ? ;)
Precisely why I'm partial to it. :D

Member for

18 years 1 month

The Concorde will never fly again. Full stop. Period. End of Sentence.

There are no engines. There are no spares. There is no certification. There is no support from the manufacturer.

You obviously have more technical knowledge than the BA Engineers that supports SCG so perhaps you could care to advise why you are more qualified to make this statement than they are, particularly when they believe it is possible.

Member for

20 years

"There are no engines. There are no spares. There is no certification. There is no support from the manufacturer."

BASpeedbird001, could you please give specific and detailed answers as to how exactly SCG intends to surmount these four problems?

Member for

18 years 9 months

"There are no engines. There are no spares. There is no certification. There is no support from the manufacturer."

I think what's being got at here is that technically speaking someone could make new engines, fabricate spares, spend millions on certification and forget about support. I personally think these hurdles are insurmountible, however others will disagree. They are only hurdles, so could technically it could fly again. In reality with the cost - never as GA said.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Precisely why I'm partial to it. :D

Oh I agree its a great design. A perfect solution.
But I just don't think it should be above the spitfire!

Member for

19 years 11 months

You obviously have more technical knowledge than the BA Engineers that supports SCG so perhaps you could care to advise why you are more qualified to make this statement than they are, particularly when they believe it is possible.
No-one here has doubted the technical expertise of any engineers that may be associated with your group, so I consider that a bit of a red herring and I feel under no obligation to respond to it.

However, one does not need to be technically-qualifed or Concorde-rated to see that the undertaking that you propose will demand a quite considerable expenditure, possibly running into the millions of pounds, in terms of both initial funding and ongoing maintenance.

Perhaps you could give us an idea of your working costings and explain to us how your group plans to fund this expenditure?