787 Wings

Profile picture for user symon

Member for

14 years

Does anybody know why Boeing have chosen this wing design (in more specifics than just "more economical)? It's always puzzled me as to how they are going to make the wings in this shape (pictures provided by boeing.com and me) and keep them that way. If you're sitting in the seat down the line from the wingtip, all you're going to see is wing if you look straight out the window! It has some curve to it and I've never read an explanation saying why exactly... :confused:
Attachment Size
787.jpg 16.23 KB
DSC00354.JPG 259.67 KB
Original post
Profile picture for user tenthije

Member for

19 years 9 months

Well, all wings flex somewhat. Even seen a 777 or 330 on rotation? The wingflex is really noticable. So much so that head-on it seems that the wingtips are taller then the fuselage. It might well be that the pictures above show the wings in rotation stage. Or course it is also possible that the wings are really curved. But it would seem to me that this would require a lot of strengthening (= weight penalty!). In particular since the wings will still have a flex tendency, getting curved wings will bring a flexing wing faster to breaking point.
Profile picture for user symon

Member for

14 years

Yeah, I've seen some cracking shots of flexed wings on large aircraft and it did occur to me that this may be the case. It just struck me as weird that all pictures (well, artist’s impressions) of the 787 show this wing design. Which led me to believe they would be permanently like this. Still confused :p