Registrations

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

In this photo the guy who took it states that there is no registration on the a/c ? Is this the case or is it just not in view ? My question being are a/c permitted to operate without a registration ? I thought not but i could be wrong.

Link here

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1044838&TopOfYest=yes

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Fresh from the paint shop so perhaps there is indeed no reg.

Damn, that would mess up my photo archive big time!

Member for

20 years 7 months

Registrations are mandatory, on the fuselage and on the underside of the wing

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thats what i thought on the fuselage. Don't think they have to be on underside of wing though. When i worked for MyTravel the only a/c i can remember with then on the underside of wings were the A330's. :confused:

Member for

20 years 1 month

Most UK aircraft have registrations under the wings, but most countries don't have them under the wings.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Not sure what the JAR requirements are regarding under the wings, I thought this had to be the case too, I'll try and find out

Member for

19 years 11 months

Surely all of these rules mentioned above apply to aircraft that are operational?

The caption of the photograph says the the livery was newly-applied and that the registration was still to be applied.

If the aircraft is not operational - as it clearly wasn't at the time of taking the picture - then the presence of a registration is academic.

Member for

20 years 7 months

True Lance but the discussion has moved on a bit from there, we're trying to ascertain what the requirements are period :)

Member for

20 years 7 months

Just trolled through my ATPL notes to find this from Annex 7 of the Chicago convention

The nationality or common mark and registration mark shall be painted on the aircraft or affixed by any other means ensuring a similar degree of permanence. The marks shall be kept clean and visible at all times.

The height of the registration marks shall be:

On lighter-than-air aircraft: at least 50 cm

On heavier-than-air aircraft:
Wings: at least 50 cm
Fuselage & vertical tail surfaces at least 30 cm

Special cases: If a heavier-than-air aircraft does not have surfaces large enough for the above the size of the marks shall be such that the aircraft can be identified.

When letters are used for the registration mark, combinations shall not be used which might be confused with five letter combinations used in the International Code of Signals, Part II, three letter combinations beginning with Q used in the Q Code, and with the distress signal SOS, or other urgent signals, for example XXX, PAN and TTT.

I guess there is no specific ruling there to say exactly where they need to be placed

Member for

24 years 2 months

Cheers for clearing that up Deano.