GSM and the north east of England.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 2 months

According to a relaible source of mine this is what GSM have said about services to the USA " in the summer of 2007 one of the airports of the north east of england will have a long haul route, we are thinking New York's Newark possibly from the Durham Tees airport as it has room to grow and seeing as Newcastle would be in direct competition with Edinburgh with Continentals service, then DTV could most possibly get it, however Newcastle is on our list for routes."

what are your opinions about this and do you think DTV could handle such a route?

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

Newcastle to Newark would be much better than Durham Tees to Newark imo.

Member for

18 years 3 months

agreed cant see it happening at durham tbh

Member for

18 years 2 months

Yeh, but you never know I mean MAN to CPT was a bit random, so we don't know what to expect really.

Member for

18 years 8 months

DTV has very poor terminal facilities and is no bigger than the supermarket i work at. Not capable of sustaining such a flight.
LBA is where you want a route or NCL.

Member for

18 years 2 months

I agree there, and GSM have said " NCL is a favourite " and there has been speculation that a NYC route will be announced by next spring.

Member for

18 years 3 months

DTV has very poor terminal facilities and is no bigger than the supermarket i work at. Not capable of sustaining such a flight.
LBA is where you want a route or NCL.

Agreed ncl and lba are much more capable of suistaning this kind of route.

Member for

18 years 2 months

With you both there

Member for

24 years 2 months

I don't think MME will get it but a couple of pointers for you....

Firstly, MME is far bigger than a supermarket. :)

Secondly, if MME get the route before anything happens in NCL or LBA, then MME's catchment area will range from Yorkshire to Tyneside - a perfect middle ground.

The infrastucture at NCL is far better, however, during my recent NCL flights, I felt the airport was starting to struggle at peak times with the numbers of passengers. The queues for bags, to check-in, through customs etc were all a lot longer than they used to be.

A lot will reside on how the TFS service performs for GSM and if and when CO will announce something from NCL. Can't ever GSM using LBA to be honest, simply because of Jet2's presence and the fact that Donny is just down the road. But then again, who am I to judge?

Member for

18 years 3 months

Problem with ncl is that there just aint enough room for A/C at peak times between 5 and 7 at night it can get very hard to find a space.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Problem with ncl is that there just aint enough room for A/C at peak times between 5 and 7 at night it can get very hard to find a space.

I highly doubt any NYC service will be on the groun at NCL at those hours.

Member for

19 years 5 months

I highly doubt any NYC service will be on the ground at NCL at those hours.

Member for

18 years 2 months

yeh there more early morning flights.

Member for

18 years 3 months

yeh there more early morning flights.

Not really mate as in the morning all the base aircraft are moving out for there first sector then between 5and 9 most of them are returning for the night. jet2's GCELA there cargo conversion 737 toddles over to the cargo ramp gets it seats taken out and does the mail run then comes back gets its seats put back in and sent to the remote stands ready for its first pax run. Ncl is quite crowded when the night stoppers are all tucked up for the night. Comes to around about between 20-25 A/C in total.

Member for

18 years 2 months

You have a point there lol.

Member for

18 years 2 months

So there might not be the space or slots for such a route?

Member for

18 years 3 months

So there might not be the space or slots for such a route?

Dont know mate you never know what can happen in the industry things change fast.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Most of these routes arrive in around 8-9am and depart again at 11-12am.