Open Skies

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 11 months

Open Skies seems to be upon us. In the event that certain airlines from these islands may want to expand their operations westbound,where do you think they will find the slots from? I see it as one of three ways

a. Buy some.....expensive

b. Code share

or

c. Reduce the service from regional airports and release slots that way

any thoughts?

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well I think that one airline in particular is likely to cut services to some regional points from LHR and use the slots for westbound services, and in addition, they are likely to, in the first instance at least, recall their widebody jets from another major regional airport to be used on the new services, meaning the loss of long haul points for said regional airport.

Member for

19 years 7 months

And said regional airport should seek emergency talks with that airline with a view to finding out what they plan! Some routes may be able to be transferred to another British airline but one route may be difficult to replace?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well I think that one airline in particular is likely to cut services to some regional points from LHR and use the slots for westbound services, and in addition, they are likely to, in the first instance at least, recall their widebody jets from another major regional airport to be used on the new services, meaning the loss of long haul points for said regional airport.

Surely you don't refer to 'London Airways' ? :rolleyes:

Ah... It's the A330 operator...:D

Member for

20 years 2 months

Its true that some airports will unfortunatley loose out with open skies.

MAN at first glance would appear to be one that will suffer but an airport of that size will recover.
Imagine how poor SNN will feel.

DUB is the first airport to benift with EI already announcing IAD,MCO and SFO. :D

Member for

19 years 7 months

Today's Observer newspaper includes the following snippets:

1. bmi to swap slots used for domestic routes to launch new transatlantic services.
2. bmi's first three LHR US services may be to Chicago, Charlotte and New York
3. bmi looknig to buy a further 3 A330s
4. BA shifiting Houston services to LHR
5. BA to then move Dallas services to LHR

Member for

24 years 3 months

Today's Observer newspaper includes the following snippets:

1. bmi to swap slots used for domestic routes to launch new transatlantic services.
2. bmi's first three LHR US services may be to Chicago, Charlotte and New York
3. bmi looking to buy a further 3 A330s.

They'll be dropping the 'M' from the name next, followed by the 'B' no doubt ?:D:rolleyes:

Member for

20 years 2 months

Would bmi not be better off dropping the likes of VCE and NAP and maintaining a decent frequencey on domestic routes to allow feeder oppourtunities for the longer flights?

I thought BD's main roll in *A was to provide feeder traffic for UA,SQ,TG,LH etc at LHR. If they cut them, then why stay in *A?

Maybe Im not typing exactly what I meen but it does seem strange to cut domestic routes in favour of L/ routes but continue to operate flights with crazy schedules to Continental European destinations.