German low cost news

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

www.justplanes.com has announced that a new german low cost airline called Low Fare Jet has postponed its start up plans indefinitely. Low Fare Jet was suppossed to start operations on 1st December but was moved back to 1st March 2003. Over 400 people had to have refunds.
I didn't think Low Fare Jet was going to be a successful low cost airline as they were planning to use a business class product aswell - Star Class. I think an airline should either be full cost or low cost - not both.
Planned routes were from Hannover to London Luton, Glasgow Prestwick and Paris Beauvais.

Hapag Lloyd Express have successfully started operations today from its Cologne/Bonn base to Berlin - Tegel. Other routes which will be fully served by 14th December are Hamburg, Milan Bergamo, Venice, Pisa/Florence, Naples and London - Luton.

Germanwings, another low cost airline based at Cologne/Bonn is starting a new service today to Istanbul - there has been a high demand for bookings on this route.

I have noticed that Hapag Lloyd Express and Germanwings compete on 3 routes but serve different airports on 2 of them. They both compete on routes to London, Milan and Berlin. They both offer similar prices at €19. Looks like there is a price war between them. Does anyone think they will able to fill all there planes and make any money on these 3 routes?

Air Berlin has also added a London Stansted - Hannover route to its popular City Shuttle service.

Germania Flug is continuing to operate its low cost services from Berlin Tegel to Frankfurt, Munich and Palma de Mallorca. The Berlin to Cologne route has been taken over by H.L Express.

Regards
dan777

Original post