Binoculars---can anyone recommend please

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years

Hi All,
Having bought a far too strong pair of binoculars (20 x 100 x 50 )to plane spot a few years back(THEY NEEDED A VICE TO HOLD THEM STEADY!!!!) can anyone recommend a good pair that are not too strong but can pick up aircraft at between 10,000 and 20,000 ft and see which airline as clearly as poss
Many Thanks
CB

Original post

Member for

18 years 7 months

I bought some Olympus 8-16 x 50 zoom from Dixons and they are very good indeed. They were on offer early this year for £65, down from £100+

The zoom range is just right for airfield work and the optics are sharp and clear - i couldnt say whether they would be powerfull enough for spotting livery at 20,000 feet tho.

Member for

21 years

If you can stretch to it, the IS range by Canon are very VERY good. I just splashed out on a set of 18x50's from ebay. They are normally £700+ retail, so you have to think seriously about them, but with the image stabilisation they will sit rock steady, and I can easily check out liveries of aircraft on airways.

There are lower magnification models available , so you might find something in your budget; if you can afford them, these noccies really are the dogs' danglies and you'll never need another pair.

Member for

21 years

Thanks Guys--may need to ask my boss for a pay rise for the second pair though!!

CB:confused:

Member for

17 years 6 months

sorry to be a killjoy.. should this not be in the General Discussion area?

Cheers

RicKT