Who owns the most planes in the world?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

Anybody like to guess the name of the person who owns the most planes? This is in the right forum but the name might be more familiar to Historic readers!

Original post

Member for

20 years 11 months

Howard Hughes????

Member for

18 years 1 month

George Dubya Boosh??
USAF has 7531(?) aircraft in the fleet, 2nd is Russia with a mere 3365
Of course American Airlines is the largest airline by fleet with a whopping 685,closely followed by Lufthansa (534)

Member for

19 years

Good guesses but wrong, will give you the answer later today!

Member for

20 years 11 months

George Dubya Boosh??
Of course American Airlines is the largest airline by fleet with a whopping 685,closely followed by Lufthansa (534)

USAF planes are owned by US taxpayer and the airlines are owned by the shareholders

Member for

20 years 1 month

USAF planes are owned by US taxpayer and the airlines are owned by the shareholders

That will be the correct answer the USA tax payer.
as for single owned than the likes of Kermit weeks etc would be to name
but a few .

Member for

20 years 6 months

I know the owner of the largest fleet of aircraft in Britian is the RBoS (The Royal Bank of Scotland) via finance.

Member for

19 years

This the person you were thinking of?......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_F._Udvar-Hazy

And the winner is GONZO. Mr. Udvar-Hazy owns 824 airliners with 254 more on order. He is the CEO of the International Lease Finance Corp. and the following newspaper article makes interesting reading.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/10/business/10flyboy.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Member for

18 years 5 months

Where's the prize? :D

Member for

19 years 9 months

Where's the prize? :D

Buried below your new tower! :D

Member for

18 years 7 months

And the winner is GONZO. Mr. Udvar-Hazy owns 824 airliners with 254 more on order. He is the CEO of the International Lease Finance Corp. and the following newspaper article makes interesting reading.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/10/business/10flyboy.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

I don't think ILFC belongs to its CEO. Maybe the English Queen is the winner, because maybe the Royal Air Force belongs technically to her. Like with the Royal Navy: Her Majesty Ship (H.M.S.).

Member for

20 years

....He is the CEO of the International Lease Finance Corp.
But according to the article you linked to, ILFC was itself acquired by the American International Group in 1990.

This being the case, surely the real owner of all of those aeroplanes is whoever owns American International?

Member for

19 years

My tea break got in the way of reading the small print, so I guess the shareholders of A.I.G. are technically the owners! That G.A. is always trying to trip me up, last time it was Black Sabbath......:p

Member for

18 years 9 months

So, are there any airlines which are 100% owned by a single individual?

What is the biggest of such airlines?

Virgin is not owned by Branson, because Singapore is a big shareholder. However, Ryanair actually is owned by Ryans. Can anyone comment on the Ryanair ownership structure - who are the owners?

Member for

20 years

That G.A. is always trying to trip me up, last time it was Black Sabbath......:p
Nothing personal, mate. :cool:

Bitter experience has taught me to always read the small print. It's usually small for a reason. ;)

Member for

18 years 8 months

George Dubya Boosh??

Thought Lufthansa had a fleet off 246? Or you counting the airline cargo and cityline aswel? I know AA Have the most MD-82 with 212 and 142 757:eek:

So, are there any airlines which are 100% owned by a single individual?

What is the biggest of such airlines?

Virgin is not owned by Branson, because Singapore is a big shareholder. ?

Thought He owns 80% with Singapore owning 20?

James

Member for

20 years

Thought He owns 80% with Singapore owning 20?

James

No, James. Singapore Airlines has a 49% shareholding in Virgin Atlantic.

Member for

18 years 10 months

However, Ryanair actually is owned by Ryans. Can anyone comment on the Ryanair ownership structure - who are the owners?

Well, Ryanair is quoted on several stock exchanges, though maybe the Ryans and certainly O'Leary own a fair chunk of it?

Member for

18 years 5 months

Buried below your new tower!

Excellent....we'll move back to the old one while we dig it up....everyone wins!

As for one person owning aeroplanes, I seem to remember that I read somewhere that bmi and bmiBaby aircraft are all owned by Sir Michael Bishop's holding company (owned totally by him) and then leased to bmi and Baby.

Member for

18 years 8 months

No, James. Singapore Airlines has a 49% shareholding in Virgin Atlantic.

Oh right so SRB has 51% :confused: :o

James