Ryanair hikes check-in fees!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 6 months

From TravelMole:

Ryanair has increased checked-in baggage and airport check-in fees for all new bookings.

The airline said the move is part of its "continued drive to encourage passengers to travel without checked in bags and avail of Ryanair's free of charge online check in on-line".

From yesterday, Ryanair's checked in baggage fee increased from £5 to £6 per bag and the airport check-in fee will increase from £2 to £3.

Ryanair's Peter Sherrard said: "These will not be the last increases in Ryanair's checked in baggage or airport check in fees, which will continue to increase over time until we reach our objective of persuading at least 50% of all Ryanair passengers to travel with hand luggage only, use our free web check-in service and avoid airport check-in queues.

"This will in turn allow us to reduce the number airport check-in desks that we rent and the handling staff we employ so that we can continue to pass on these handling savings in the form of Europe's guaranteed lowest fares."

by Bev Fearis

Whatever next...:rolleyes:

Original post

Member for

18 years 8 months

Paying to use toliet onboard plane.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Sounds like blackmail to me!!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Surely if you dont pay for checkin and cant web checkin they would be breaking their contract (i.e. you paid to fly from A to B)? Has anyone refused to pay at checkin?

Member for

24 years 3 months

It is moves like this that make low cost airlines actually quite expensive... checked baggage fees, priority boarding fees, overpriced drinks and snacks and now a check-in fee? Ludicrous!

Member for

16 years 3 months

Can you check-in online Ryanair? If not then they are basicly forcing everyone to pay this charge so it should just be included in the flight cost as its not an optional extra.

Member for

19 years

I think Ryanair are good, but only for short trips away where you don't really need to take alot of clothes. They work out much cheaper than most airlines for this, but when it comes down to 7 days away etc it can work out queit expensive after all the prices have been added.

I think Ryanair will start charging people for missing the flights soon :p

Member for

20 years 11 months

I think Ryanair will start charging people for missing the flights soon

They already do. It's called a no refunds policy!

These are perfect examples of what I hate about the direction no-frills airlines have taken the industry, but at the same time you cannot expect lead fares of 99p to be all inclusive. Operating aircraft is a very expensive business and if you are going to sell fares at the sort of level FR (sometimes) do then something has to give.

As an aside I heard the travel writer Simon Calder on the radio the other day stating that he refuses to use the expression low-cost to describe any airline, preferring the expression no-frills. How true!

1L.

Member for

20 years 1 month

I think what their trying to encourage more is the use of Hand Baggage and Online Check-in. When I flew them last week, I was very suprised to see the queue for the flight at Liverpool, and then the amount of people who were behind me in the queue using Priority Boarding/Online Check-in line. There weren't many, and a number of grumpy faces looked our way, seeing us get on first hehe!

I was able to get quite a large rucksack on board, which for me was very adequate for 3 days in the Italian Lakes, but I understand the factor that others might go for a longer duration or might have more luggage means that they have to check it in.

It sure is daylight robbery, but for them its not only more money in the coffers, but also it could cost them money if late off the blocks due to baggage!

I'll still fly them, even if they were late getting me home by 3 hours last week, 2am at LPL ain't plesant!

Member for

18 years 6 months

It was this statement that got to me the most...

Ryanair's Peter Sherrard said: "These will not be the last increases in Ryanair's checked in baggage or airport check in fees..."

Excellent way of deterring customers from flying with them!

Paying to use toliet onboard plane.

It would not be a suprise to me if they did begin to do so...how much though, £2 each time, soon rising to £3!:D:diablo:

Member for

24 years 3 months

Would actually be very simple to implement toilet charges. Use a coin system to permit access!

Member for

20 years 9 months

Would actually be very simple to implement toilet charges. Use a coin system to permit access!

I was just thinking about that idea but for the overhead storage bins. A bit too far I think....?

Member for

19 years

Don't give MOL any new ideas!:D

Member for

18 years 5 months

Perfectly legitimate thing for Ryanair to do.

Why should I pay for your checked luggage? if I travel without

nobody forces you to buy priority boarding, and they allow you to eat your own food on board ;)

I have a slight issue with paying for check in though, because last time I used their online check in there was a problem with it so we had to check in at the airport.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Perfectly legitimate thing for Ryanair to do.

Just to set the record straight, apologises for not stating this earlier, I was not suggesting it was not a legitimate thing for Ryanair to do, of course its perfectly fine for them to do it, but if FR are going to continue to market themselves as 'the low-fares airline', and they continue to increase these additonal charges, they may need to adjust it to read 'the low-fares airline + a bit extra...':D:diablo:

Also for the record, I was merley passing on what i thought was useful information for those people that regularily fly with them as they may be caught out one day by a sudden increase in charges!;)

On the subject of additional revenue, MO'L might want to take a quick look at what Skybus offer...they charge $15 for a pillow that you then get to keep, which I think is quite a good idea and one that could work very well for FR's longer sector journeys as it would provide a little bit of comfort for passengers, especially seeing as the seats do not recline.

Member for

18 years 5 months

I understand cloud_9, I am just always amazed at peoples' reactions to LCCs.

I think it is innovative of Ryanair to try and save money by trying to reduce the number of check-in desks they need.

Member for

24 years 3 months

What about of we don´t have another option, like me? :mad:

Sometimes we don´t have to check luggage, but sometimes we do, and that upsets me quite a lot. Being no competence in routes nobody but Ryanair flies, no cheap fares at all. :mad:

So low cost?. Unfortunately Clickair, Vueling in the Spanish market are doing just the same.

Member for

21 years

Can't say it bothers me to be honest.

Paying for checked luggage has been around for ages now, so its not like that is a new development.

As for paying to check in at the airport, if you don't have a bag why do you need to use a check in desk? If you are clever enough to work the Ryanair website to book the ticket in the first place then surely you can use it to check in online for free?

Keep charging for all the extras as far as I'm concerned. I have 3 trips this month and I've paid 1p a flight. I've not paid anything more than that, nor will I.

If you want an all inclusive price for the things that you feel should be all inclusive, then fly a legacy airline and pay more for it...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Can't say it bothers me to be honest.

Paying for checked luggage has been around for ages now, so its not like that is a new development.

As for paying to check in at the airport, if you don't have a bag why do you need to use a check in desk? If you are clever enough to work the Ryanair website to book the ticket in the first place then surely you can use it to check in online for free?

Keep charging for all the extras as far as I'm concerned. I have 3 trips this month and I've paid 1p a flight. I've not paid anything more than that, nor will I.

If you want an all inclusive price for the things that you feel should be all inclusive, then fly a legacy airline and pay more for it...

I was so shocked reading that I had to sit down. Your NOT flying BA First Class!?!?! :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :diablo: :D

Member for

20 years 9 months

I was just thinking about this, and I find some people's angry responses quite amusing..

Let's say you're searching for a flight, and you decide to check Ryanair. You find the flights, you then decide whether to check-in a bag or not, you then accept or decline the insurance, and then you get to the final price. Now if you don't like the price, surely you can just close the webpage and try another airline?! People make it sound like once you've gone through the first stage of the booking process, you are then forced to pay the extra fee's as if there's no turning back.

And another point...think realisitcally about how much baggage you actually need, and whether you can avoid all the fee's just by taking cabin baggage. In December I flew to Lanzarote on TCX, and I know they have a very tight hold baggae limit of 15kg. Seeing as I was going for 10 days, I really had to think about what to pack. Upon check-in, it turns out my case was actually 14kg! Surely that then means that a 10kg cabin bag should be sufficient for 5-7 days away?

Member for

19 years 9 months

More charges from Ryanair designed to catch out the unwarey - typical.

O'Leary said he wanted flying to be like getting on a bus. What bus service charges if you take a bag with you? What bus service charges you to "check in"?

For those who say "fair enough" - what happens if you're away on holiday and haven't got internet access?

I don't want to have to decide months in advance (when I book) whether I want to check a bag or not - I want to decide the night before I travel, and not have to pay extra if I do decide to take a checked bag. I don't mind checking in online on the outbound (oh, but I can't if I want to check a bag!), but I don't want the hassle of trying to get web access and a printer on my way home days later. I want to be able to take all my camera gear (including a 500mm F4 at nearly 4kg on its own) and carry it on, in TWO bags - oh, but Ryanair have decided to ignore the fact that this is now allowed again (almost certainly for no better reason than that they can make more money out of checked baggage). And I don't want to be fleeced by "extra" (rather than hidden - I acknowledge that they're not hidden if you look) charges depending on how I decide to travel.

Mind you, its all irrelevent to me. I have never travelled with Ryanair and I never will even if its the last airline on the planet. Pay peanuts and get monkeys - and that's just what Ryanair are - a bunch of monkeys.

Andy