Air travel forecasts "out of control"

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Air travel forecasts "out of control":

Meeting predicted air passenger growth would mean building a Stansted-sized airport every year for the next 30 years, according to a new campaign group.

But ministers should reject such "unsustainable" forecasts and bring in measures to control aviation growth, environmental umbrella group AirportWatch says.

Its launch comes ahead of next week's expected Government announcement of options for airport expansion across the UK.

The new group has published a report entitled Flying into Trouble - The Threat Of Airport Growth.

The report says the Government should:

:: end "large public subsidies and tax breaks" for the aviation industry

:: promote alternatives to air travel such as high-speed rail lines

:: set environmental limits at airports and set up an independent body to oversee pollution control regimes on airport operations

:: maintain the right of local communities to challenge the principle and location of airport expansion.

It is estimates that the current total of 180 million UK air passengers a year could more than double to 400 million by 2020 and go up to 500 million by 2030.
comments...i think after the mid-air collision this is just a head-on hype.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Air travel forecasts "out of control"

As I've said before, I'd rather fly domestically in the UK than take the train. It's faster, cheaper, and, IMHO safer.