Madrid Tragedy

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Latest. A mobile on could have caused the electric malfunction, which made the alarms, didn´t sound. So, the first crash caused by a mobile?. Sounds really disturbing.

Iberia is not using MD88 any longer after the crash. Spanair planes, are checked by Iberia, whose maintenance is simply perfect.

More cancelations. A groups of passengers rioted in Spanish Salamanca Airport after the B737-800 from Air Europa, had a minor technical problem. After negotiations the airline used a A330 to take them to the destination.

Media is mixing MD series aircraft with other Boeing models. I am feeling a little bit more uneased about flying.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Is it possible that there may have been some confusion between the captain and the first officer. One of them wanted to abort again, but the other disagreed as is would only distress passengers even more. So perhaps the one that wanted to abort second time attempted it, by putting the right engine in reverse thrust. Then the one that wanted to continue possibly continued on with departure and rotated. Seconds later the aircraft would have stalled?

This is just my theory, im sure we will no the truth when the black boxes are revealed and when national geographic make an eposide of air crash investigation

Josh

Hmm... I really can't imagine that scenario working in any way! Firstly, the ultimate decision to do anything lies with the Captain, and for an F/O to go against his decision probably wouldn't be a good thing (athough I'm more than willing to be corrected on that by some of you people who actually do fly these things). Secondly, even I, with my meagre knowledge, know that applying reverse thrust to just one engine on an MD-80 during the takeoff roll while the other is at takeoff thrust won't do anything other than create a situation that isn't entirely desirable. Surely the people actually flying the aircraft know that as well?!

Paul

Member for

24 years 2 months

A leak....the video of the crash has been sent to the media

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmfmAGbFIE0

Huge scandal as the Ministry of Transport is leaking important information to the press before conclussions are final. The pilots from the Pilots Trade Unions who were participating in the comission has withdrawn considering that this is not serious for a civilized country.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Confirming Super Nimrod's post, non operation of the flaps together with the lack of an audible warning of their non-operation was the cause of the accident although the official report will not be issued for many months.

One would wonder whether any of the cabin crew could have noticed that the flaps had not been deployed?:confused:

http://news.theage.com.au/world/faulty-flaps-caused-spanair-plane-crash-20081010-4xtn.html

Member for

19 years

One would wonder whether any of the cabin crew could have noticed that the flaps had not been deployed?:confused:

http://news.theage.com.au/world/faulty-flaps-caused-spanair-plane-crash-20081010-4xtn.html

That would probably be logical, but would the cabin crew be seated in an appropriate seat to do so? I'm not familiar with the MD80 series but I assume that the crew would have their seats at the front & rear gallies and I know that their windows are quite often small & difficult to see the wing from.

Member for

17 years 7 months

I've often wondered how it would play out if I was in the position described above.

Whenever possible I try and get a window seat near the wing and I like to watch what's going on, e.g. the control surfaces testing and the flap/slat extension. If we were taxiing out towards the runway and I noticed that the flaps were retracted, how likely is it that I'd be able to successfully get my concerns to the flight deck before they start the takeoff roll? If I started shouting and dinging the cabin crew call button during taxiing I'd probably get either restrained or ignored!

Ian

Member for

24 years 2 months

In the back jump seats, as flight attendant you can´t see the wings, nor in the front ones. Passengers simply don´t pay attention to that point, in case they do, they would probably think the captain had´nt deployed them for any reasonable explanation.

Only another pilot, or working in aviation or safety could realize about it. And what could we do if we see it?. :confused:

Member for

18 years 7 months

If I started shouting and dinging the cabin crew call button during taxiing I'd probably get either restrained or ignored!

If you're on the ground they'd probably kick you off the flight, at which point you explain why you reacted in such an extreme way. If you potentially saved the flight from going down I can't imagine you'd be in trouble for long!

Paul

Member for

19 years 11 months

Moderator Message

Thanks for updating us, Newforest.

Any further discussion on a new thread, please.

Thanks

GA