Embraer, Avro, Bombardier and Dornier-Boring future?

Read the forum code of contact

Hello there, I was wondering if anyone shares my view on the new aircraft due to be released by many of the main regional jet manufacturers. I think they all look the same and aircraft will soon loose their identities.. I find this is a great shame especially with the new Alliance aircraft coming, that aircraft all look the same. Can I please hear your views and whether you agree?
Regards

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Embraer, Avro, Bombardier and Dornier-Boring future?

I think Bombardier did wisely when they re-considered their entry to the 100+ seat market. Embraer's and Dornier's coming models are too close to each other and when you add the Alliance aircraft... what is the difference? Indeed, the future is going to be boring.

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Embraer, Avro, Bombardier and Dornier-Boring future?

I don't think this problem lies just with regional jets, but virtually all airliners.

For example, the B757 and TU-204 look similar as do the Tristar and DC-10. The 777 just looks like a fatter 767 to me. This problem, if you want to call it that, is not just exclusive to aircraft, but other modes of transport such as saloon cars and trains.

My main point is that all of the above have been designed in a conventional manner, a tried and tested method of design. It would cost a manufacturer a lot more money if they went down the road of designing something radical. Concorde anyone?