being new

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

LAST EDITED ON 06-Oct-00 AT 08:41 AM (GMT)[p]im new to this site as well and find it great that u can chat with someone who actually takes an interest in what i am saying. thanks.do u think that one day we will see airbus widebodies in ba colours, or are they going to stay loyal to ba? i know the airline has on order quite a few narrowbodies, but how about seeing an a340 in the union livery?

just a thought!

Original post

RE: being new

BA did consider the A340 for it's long haul fleet a few years ago, but they picked the 777 and ordered more 747-400's for their fleet.

I wouldn't be surprised if BA order the A330-200 within the next few years though. The 767's will need replacing one day and I think the Airbus is a worthy succesor to the Boeing twin, it is certainly just as versatile and they have cockpit commonality with the A319/A320 fleet BA is currently building up.

I'm glad BA went for the A320 series to replace the older 737's, having flown on both types I can safely say the A320 is the superior aircraft, both in terms of comfort and cabin noise.

I have had the pleasure of flying in the Airbus A-330, and in my opinion it certainly beats nearly very aircraft that I have flown in. BA has a reputation for passenger comfort, so in my opinion the A-330 would be an ideal aircraft for them,
But when BA does decide to get rid of the 767's I reckon that because BA is already an established Boeing customer it will probrably go for the 777.

The 777 would be too big to be a direct replacement for the 767 fleet. Don't forget that the 767's are used on all types of routes within the BA network, from transatlantic flights to short haul shuttle services. The 777 seems better suited to longer flights.

A versatile aircraft with similar capacity is needed to replace the Boeings, and the A330-200 fits the bill perfectly.

Member for

24 years 2 months

i was quite sure BA only used it's 757s on shuttle flights? plus the fact that the 777's are used on the paris flights makes it a short hauler too, in spite of it's vast size. (is my knowledge up to date?!) i too would love to see a BA A330/40. what about an A3XX one day, just for laughs!!

Member for

24 years 2 months

It depends on the time. BA used to only use 757's on the shuttle services, but the last twice I've flown LHR-GLA, I've been in an A320. On the 6:30am flight from GLA to LHR, a 767 is used certainly on Mondays, probably also Fridays. I've also been on 737's on the LHR route, while only 737's are used for the LGW route.

In the 1998 british airways worldwide timetable, i noticed that some pictures showing the seating orders for some of their aircraft. I noticed that the had three types of boeing 757's, these were 1 757 for regional long haul flights, 7 757's for shuttle services, and 43 757's for european routes. the shuttle services was ecoomy class, european services were euro traveller and club europe, while the only longhaul aircraft had both club world and world traveller.

Doe's anyone out there know if ba still has this longhaul 757.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I'm not sure. Certainly the GLA JFK flight was a 757, so I assume that was the long haul configured 75. However, BA no longer operate that flight. I thought it (the plane) may have possibly been moved to Manchester for long haul flights from there, but I don't think it was.
Incidentally, the shuttle flights between LHR and GLA/EDI/MAN are not all economy. They're shuttle class, which is booking class C.