Flying coffins of India

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi,
recently Indian Airlines had it's 13th crash. Has anyone one of you travelled with IA. What do you think about them. I think it is a very poor airlines.

Kabir

Original post

RE: Flying coffins of India

Which crash was this then? Are you referring to the Alliance B737 crash? Whilst part of the Indian Airlines Group, Alliance has a different management, a different operater code and is not statistically enumerated with the parent group.

Also, emotive subject titles are misleading and unhelpful.

Indian companies may have a poor safety record but they are not the worst in the world. Whilst anyone having a choice might wish to seriously consider the odds when flying in the sub-continent, given the passenger miles flown, the infrastructure and the climate the Indian record, whilst not good, could be far worse.

Finally a point to think on:

The Alliance crash is currently listed as "survivable" as all on board were not killed.

So for a major airline to have a crash on average every 3.846 years is "quite a good record"?

There are many hundreds of airline managers, passengers, crew and people in the regulating bodies who would put this record firmly in the category where it belongs:-

Not the worst but massive room for major overhaul and improvement

Member for

24 years 2 months

Yes, I agree Indian Airlines is a terrible airline, with uninspiring interiors, bad service, and a totally unenviable safety record.When I fly in India, I prefer to travel in style with India's world class domestic airline, namely Jet Airways.Go with them, and avoid Indian Airlines at all costs.

I must say what is the reason that these aircraft have all crashed. Was it that the airlines technicians are not looking after the aircraft properly or is it something else. I must also say that korean airways has a lot of crashes, now that an airline that i would not fly with.