Are airports ready for the 3XX?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hello,
I just wanted to know are the airports ready for the 3xx. It will take an awfull lot of time to unload the passengers as it is a double decker. Is Heathrow ready for it as it will be some of the first airports for the 3XX. Atleast i dont find any new things on the airports for the 3XX.

regards
Kabir

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Are airports ready for the 3XX?

It will be some problems at some airports. A3XX will be heavy plane and possibly it needs lot of space around it. What about those two story gates? It will take some time to take all out from just one floor at time. I think some airports are not ready, especially those airports with lot of traffic. Anyway, I'd like to see the airplane flying before making any major decisions to build or not to build something new for the A3XX.

RE: Are airports ready for the 3XX?

The A3XX is to be designed to fit into current gates, though their may be congestion around the ramp as more vehicles will be needed to service toilets, water and the extra galleys.

The main problem will be wing tip clearnces on buildings and other obstructions at some airports en route to/from the runway and some turn-offs will need extra "fillets" to facilitate turning.

The double deck load/unloading should not be an issue. Double deck gates, when built will help but the current maximum seating on a 747-300/400 upper deck is 90 and the few airlines (such as Air Atlanta) using this take no longer to load than loading a 200 series. The same should apply to the A3XX. Given how the airlines say they are going to use the extra space, only a minimal increase in loads will occur initially. Once someone decides to pack an A3XX with seats at 29" pitch, the fun could begin BUT Airbus suggest that, even with a single jetway access, loading by row number and unloading from downstairs first, the average time on the gate/loading time should not be more than 5% more than for a 747-400 and with double, one deck, jetway access, should show no increase (of course flight attendants will have to learn to count ACCURATELY beyond 450!!!).

On another topic, a message for Kabir - I have no current e-mail contact addresses at Boeing. E-mail me again with the information you require and I'll try to point you in the right direction