Is there any point in supersonic aircraft?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Due to the recent crash and disuse of Concordes, I ask, is there any point in supersonic aircraft?
There only good use is being able to carry someone from London to New York in just under 3 hours.
Proof of such is the popularity of Concorde. Only Air France and BA bought them, and the number of them was hardly many.
I would just like to know whether anyone has any better ideas for the point of supersonic airliners.
Thanks,
Charlie

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Is there any point in supersonic aircraft?

Of course there´s a point at least in terms of human achivement.
Concorde flights have proved to be as safe as other flights
and they will resume soom. Although there are too many questions it seems that a piece of a Continental DC-10 has started everything. Powerful people (customers of Concorde) have got used to cross the atlantic in three hours will do everything to have an alternative as soon as possible. New supersonic planes should be developed, no matter the finacial costs. A good idea should be a common project Boeing-Airbus-Tupolev. The world is still too big to have such slower planes like the regular ones.

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Is there any point in supersonic aircraft?

I would agree with you as Concorde and the Tu-144 are major human achievements.
But surely a aeroplane is successful only if someone buys it for quality and versatility? Concorde and the Tu-144 are both not in use now which shows that supersonic planes are not that popular. Maybe they should make a plane manufactured by Boeing-Airbus-Tupolev, as you said, this would definately boost the popularity of supersonic aircraft.
I now think that there are some basic points in supersonic aircraft due to your message.
Thanks,
Charlie