WHY I WOULDN'T PAY AIR NEW ZEALAND IN WASHERS

Profile picture for user Comet

Member for

20 years 8 months

A short while ago, I decided on a trip 'Down Under' with several en-route stop-overs. Like many people, I had heard what excellent service was provided by Air New Zealand, this, and their choice of possible stop-overs (LA, Pacific, Australia), convinced me to give them a try. How wrong could I have been!!?
The problems with this airline began several days BEFORE we set off down to Heathrow. We telephoned the reservations department to reconfirm our flight bookings, but we were casually told that the airline had cancelled ALL our flight reservations. This meant a frantic few days trying to get the problem sorted. We eventually got back onto most of our pre-booked flights, but, because of Air New Zealand's gross incompetence, lost our stop in Fiji because all the Fiji flights were booked up! We were told that we would be allocated a seat on a non-stop flight to Honolulu, but this would mean that our holiday would be shorter than we had originally anticipated. We kicked up a fuss, and Air New Zealand eventually arranged a stop-over for us in Los Angeles, in the worst airport hotel I have ever stayed in, with the exception of the Heathrow Park.
On the flight from Heathrow to Los Angeles, the cabin crew, when they could be bothered to show themselves, were surly and ill-mannered. This was an afternoon flight, but woe betide the poor devil who dared to leave his window uncovered, the Kiwi commandant shot down the aisle, leaned across the poor people who had been conned out of several hundred pounds for such an experience, and slammed the blind shut. Drinks were served with the meal, but after that there was no drinks service available, the crew preferring to stand chatting in the galley, or racing upstairs to their rest area. Several people had pressed call buttons, these were all ignored (including mine). On the approach into LA, the immigration forms were handed out, the Kiwis with the attitude problem implied that British passengers were thick and incapable of filling in forms, they received a dressing down from an angry passenger, this was the funniest part of the flight!
The crew on our LAX-SYD flight couldn't have been better, but here the meals came into their own - chicken with butterbeans. Inedible owing to the fact that no one could pierce the chicken with their forks. A similarly inedible meal was served on the Sydney to Auckland service, consisting of lamb which was so hard it would have broken fillings and could be tapped audibly.
For some of the later flights I had requested a special meal (giving several weeks notice) as I have a food intolerance, and guess what - I was given exactly what I had told them I could not eat!
So, if this is an airline with excellent on board customer service, I really would not like to see some of the bad ones.

Original post

RE: WHY I WOULDN'T PAY AIR NEW ZEALAND IN WASHERS

well all i can say is i hope when u got here (australia) u had abetter time than what u did getting here

Profile picture for user Comet

Member for

20 years 8 months

Just to tell you Dave, I LOVED Australia, thank u!! I will be going again sometime (not with Air NZ though!!)

Member for

20 years 8 months

on your next visit, why not try Malaysian Airlines - the service and food are excellent. You can fly LHR to KL, take a Qantas flight to Auckland and then return on MH from Auck to KL and then back to LHR