Longest route but with prop

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Does anybody have information where and who operates longest nonstop route by turboprop aircraft?

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Longest route but with prop

In a recent article on Air Atlantique in a widely distributed weekly aviation magazine it was mentionned that this airline flew between the UK and North America with Lockheed L.188 Electra. I do not know if this is a non stop service but it must certainly be one of the longest turboprop services in the world.

RE: Longest route but with prop

Air Atlantique (now Atlantic Cargo) certainly fly ad hoc charters across to North America as have the Heavylift Belfasts.

As to scheduled routes, I've tried since this query was first posted to find a definitive answer without success. The question probably needs two answers anyway:

Longest sector and longest route

Both will be miserably short compared to the marathon sectors and routes fown by BOAC (to Africa, trans Atlantic and around the world) and Canadian Pacific Britannias (trans pacific, trans Atlantic and trans north America), KLM (to the far East)and Air Ceylon Europe - Ceylon) Electras and Aeroflot TU114s and IL18s (both to the Soviet Far east and Cuba ex Moscow)in the 1950s and 1960s.

I think the only way to get a real answer is to spend a few hours going through the OAG. I'm not volunteering, but I wouldn't expect any sector longer than 500 miles or any route greater than 1000 miles on a scheduled service.