Air France fat surcharge.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 4 months

If you can't fit into a standard airline seat, Air France will be charging you double.

About time too. It has always annoyed me that I will be charged for excess baggage whilst portly fat ppl pay the same as me yet are taking an extra 100lbs of blubber.

Original post

Member for

16 years 7 months

Seems fair enough to me. It must cost more to transport a "fat" person than a slim one (fuel costs).

It is not much fun sitting next to obese passengers, especially when their adipose tissue flops into their neighbours' seats.
Not fun at all.

Member for

24 years 2 months

What a shame : no comment!

Member for

18 years 7 months

And this weeks 'anti-PC award' goes to..... The same person it's been awarded to every week for the last year...

Member for

24 years 2 months

It is worth pointing out that the airline will refund chubby passengers if the flight is not full, which I think is pretty decent of them.

Member for

18 years 2 months

If you can't fit into a standard airline seat, Air France will be charging you double.

About time too. It has always annoyed me that I will be charged for excess baggage whilst portly fat ppl pay the same as me yet are taking an extra 100lbs of blubber.

sad way to extort more money out of people if you ask me.
would this not be ilegal.

Member for

24 years 2 months

sad way to extort more money out of people if you ask me.
would this not be ilegal.

Did you ever see the photograph of the overweight passenger on an American Airlines flight? He was attempting to sit in one seat, but because of his dimensions, it was impossible. Half of the aisle was blocked because of the size of this man (safety risk?) and I doubt it was a particularly comfortable ride for the poor man forced to sit next to him.

With this in mind, I don't think airlines - especially Air France - are extorting money out of their overweight passengers at all. If you can't squeeze yourself into one seat, then you buy another, or to pay extra to travel in a class where wider seats might better suit you.

As I mentioned earlier about Air France, the airline will refund the second seat providing the flight is not full. An airline trying to extort money out of larger passengers would not offer the refund.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/12/04/alg_overweight_passenger.jpg

Member for

16 years 4 months

It is worth pointing out that the airline will refund chubby passengers if the flight is not full, which I think is pretty decent of them.

If the flight isn't full, just lift up the arm-rest and let lardy flop out. But should still be charged IMO.
ISTR in the 70's a special occasion where the Japs needed to send the Sumo fraternity somewhere. The MTOW of the 747 was severely impaired and they had to hire a 747 and only use 1/3rd of the seats.

Member for

16 years 4 months

And this weeks 'anti-PC award' goes to..... The same person it's been awarded to every week for the last year...

Only a year, damn. Presuming you mean me of course...the truthsayer.

The French have been on form lately, with this latest Blubber tax and their delightful attitude to the Burkha they just might be dragging themselves up from being peasent farming bumble-bee eating garlic stringers. That can't cook.:)

Member for

18 years 7 months

they just might be dragging themselves up from being peasent farming bumble-bee eating garlic stringers. That can't cook.:)

Love it. :D

Member for

18 years 2 months

Did you ever see the photograph of the overweight passenger on an American Airlines flight? He was attempting to sit in one seat, but because of his dimensions, it was impossible. Half of the aisle was blocked because of the size of this man (safety risk?) and I doubt it was a particularly comfortable ride for the poor man forced to sit next to him.

With this in mind, I don't think airlines - especially Air France - are extorting money out of their overweight passengers at all. If you can't squeeze yourself into one seat, then you buy another, or to pay extra to travel in a class where wider seats might better suit you.

As I mentioned earlier about Air France, the airline will refund the second seat providing the flight is not full. An airline trying to extort money out of larger passengers would not offer the refund.

fair point

Member for

18 years 6 months

Did you ever see the photograph of the overweight passenger on an American Airlines flight?

I don't think its unreasonable for people to be charged for an extra seat due to their weight...at the end of the day if they pose a risk to other passengers and their safety whilst onboard (as that pax clearly does!), they should be made to pay for two seats...either that or find an alternative mode of transport that doesnt charge them!

Does make me wonder what the guy sat next to him is/was thinking at the time...:rolleyes:

Caption competition anyone.:D:diablo:

"Run that one by me again, they did what when you couldn't fit through the full body scanner?"

Member for

20 years 11 months

There's a big difference between an overweight person and morbidly obese person as in the American Airlines passenger

Member for

24 years 2 months

There's a big difference between an overweight person and morbidly obese person as in the American Airlines passenger

So, what point are you trying to make? :confused:

Member for

20 years 11 months

So, what point are you trying to make? :confused:

The point is quite clear..90% of the worlds population are overweight ..or fat if you like ..so in my opnion there is no justification for that sort of charge..now the man in your post is morbidly obese and it's quite understandable that those types should be charged for two seats..perhaps Air France should make it more definable

Member for

16 years 4 months

Love it. :D

I'm in Quebec very soon, and I'm going to the real France for my jollydays in summer. This is such a shock to me, maybe I'm on the slide.
Next downward step is to buy a big boxy Volvo and thus join the worst drivers club. Or even a Fiat Multipla and become a laughing stock with no taste and no money sense.
....and slippers!!!!! I've got a pipe, but it is the original type, needs water. Bought in Egypt.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The point is quite clear..90% of the worlds population is overweight ..or fat if you like ..so in my opnion there is no justification for that sort of charge..now the man in your post is morbidly obese and it's quite understandable that those types should be charged for two seats..perhaps Air France should make it more definable

Overweight or obese, it doesn't matter. If your dimensions exceed those of the seat, you're going to be charged twice. If the flight isn't full, you get the second seat refunded. Seems like a good deal to me.

I wonder though, if a an overweight/obese passenger pays for a second seat, if they get double helpings during meal service?

Member for

14 years 2 months

Overweight or obese, it doesn't matter. If your dimensions exceed those of the seat, you're going to be charged twice. If the flight isn't full, you get the second seat refunded. Seems like a good deal to me.

I wonder though, if a an overweight/obese passenger pays for a second seat, if they get double helpings during meal service?

What if you are of a broad "athletic" build? Should you be charged extra?

Member for

24 years 2 months

What if you are of a broad "athletic" build? Should you be charged extra?

Should broad athletic built passengers be charged extra? If they are so broad and athletic that they cannot fit into an economy class seat, then in my opinion, yes. But I get the impression that overweight passengers are more of an issue for the airlines at the moment.

Fortunately for me, I have only once had to sit next to somebody whose weight was not in proportion to height. The flight was just one hour long but it was extremely uncomfortable. I moved as far to the right as possible in my seat, closer to the window, just to relieve some of the pressure of this man's chunky arm digging into my side. Being such a short flight, it was just about bearable. Had it have been any longer, I would have asked about the possibility of moving to another seat on the aircraft, assuming one was available.

I have nothing whatsoever against larger people travelling, but I don't want to find that somebody is encroaching on my space, making my travel experience less comfortable. The seat I pay for on a flight is intended for me and me only. I am not happy for a percentage of my space to be occupied by somebody else, whether they be overweight, obese, broad or athletic.

Should broad athletic built passengers be charged extra? If they are so broad and athletic that they cannot fit into an economy class seat, then in my opinion, yes. But I get the impression that overweight passengers are more of an issue for the airlines at the moment.

Fortunately for me, I have only once had to sit next to somebody whose weight was not in proportion to height. The flight was just one hour long but it was extremely uncomfortable. I moved as far to the right as possible in my seat, closer to the window, just to relieve some of the pressure of this man's chunky arm digging into my side. Being such a short flight, it was just about bearable. Had it have been any longer, I would have asked about the possibility of moving to another seat on the aircraft, assuming one was available.

I have nothing whatsoever against larger people travelling, but I don't want to find that somebody is encroaching on my space, making my travel experience less comfortable. The seat I pay for on a flight is intended for me and me only. I am not happy for a percentage of my space to be occupied by somebody else, whether they be overweight, obese, broad or athletic.

Maybe the airlines should consider having one row with wider seats and a surcharge. Obviously that will bring other problems, but it will be a start. It is their(the airlines) fault for having such narrow seats in the first place. :mad: