British Jetliners 1 - TRIDENT and VC-10

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

Indeed shortly after arrival.....Speys and booster still fitted.BA removed them all for the 1-11 fleet (Spey).

Member for

24 years 2 months

One more Trident, G-AWZU seen shortly after its arrival at Stansted, still complete.
S.B.

I've got a safety card off of that beast:)

Member for

20 years 6 months

I've got a safety card off of that beast

Me too,as well as a BA jigsaw of Concorde while scrapping it...:rolleyes:

Photo taken on day one of scrapping....btw the cockpit section is stored for preservation.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1351/4598259913_1f462e8e31_z.jpg

Member for

24 years 2 months

Both our company and the competition used this aircraft for our air bridge training at STN. She was also utilised for towing practice by our ramp crews. Glad that something of her survives.

Member for

13 years 7 months

Neil, I never realised that the Trident was operated in the Air China livery, looks pretty good. Still prefer the old CAAC myself:)

Hee hee it's exactly the same livery as now. What a great thread. Love the Trident !

Member for

15 years 7 months

Did the Trident have the same width cabin as the 727? I remember a BEA Trident seeming really cramped...what seat pitch did they go down to in Economy?

Member for

20 years 6 months

The Trident had 32 inch pitch and the fuse is 12ft 1.5ins....

Member for

12 years 10 months

Lovely thread and thanks for the reminder. As mentioned that VC10 livery in the BOAC colours was really lovely to look at. As it says, a classic. I can still remember, when I was about 10yrs (1963), standing along the perimeter fence at Gatwick in line with the runway. A VC10 took off, the noise was indeed deafening but on rotation it didn't take off as normal but just went straight on up, disappearing rapidly into the low clouds. Even to this day, although fighter jets do it all the time, I have never seen a commercial jet do that. My father worked at Vickers on VC10's.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Is that an L1011 in the distance behind G-AWZU? If so, what airline did it belong to?

Member for

14 years 7 months

the offset nose wheel was a typical querk of 1950s UK design, bit like the Britannia beautiful looking aircraft spoilt by the cockpit window arranngement, really looked better after Canadair put their modifications on it. going back further the comet too, lovely plane futuristic for late 40s, but then they stick a 1930s tailplane on it!!!!!!!!!

Member for

20 years 6 months

Is that an L1011 in the distance behind G-AWZU? If so, what airline did it belong to?

It is an ex Air Ops L1011...