BD597 MAN-LHR 17/7/04

Profile picture for user bmi-star

Member for

15 years 7 months

So at long last, it was time to fly down to LHR with bmi. I booked the flight back in May so i'd been waiting a while to fly down there. We set off from my home in Penmachno about 0745 and the rain ws tipping it down there. It wasn't getting any better by Chester so we decided to go to a shopping park to waste a few minutes. By the time we got to MAN, we couldn;t see anything! So we turned away from the Viewing Area and went straight to T1 car park level 11 to have some shelter Now the wind had picked up so I decided to go and check-in @ T3. * * After saying thanks to my parents for taking me there, i went through to T3. I saw the AA 757 to BOS and my Swiss ERJ which i'll be going on in 2 weeks. Then out of the mist came my arcraft. An Airbus A321 G-MIDL in the Star Alliance billboard scheme. * We waited some time after it arrived to go to the gate. Then at about 1250 we got called to board. I got 27F which is a very good seat as i had nothing obstructing my view. This was the 1st time i had been on an Airbus short-haul model. * We pshed back right to the end of the old peir A @ MAN and the rain was intesnsifying! It took longer than i had thought to spool up the Engines, infact it took quite some time to compare to my iFDG A321 ! * So we taxied to 24R behind a delayed Delta 763. All US flight after 1020 were delayed for some reason, no idea why. The DL 763 let us go 1st and we had a rolling take off. * It took ou no time to get airbourn and start the HON1R dep to LL. CONC and the RJX looks good! At about 1500'ft, we went into cloud and some moderate turbulence. I think there were 1st time flyers ahead of me, as they cheered the take off, then screamed when we went thru the turbulence * Then we had a snack, which was a choice of to sarnies, and i picked Bacon, Chicken and Tomato which was v nice! I has to scoff it down, cos we were ahead of schedule, and began the BNN2A arrival, then the weather cleared up. * * I didn't see much, just Wembley and the Thames, and before i knew it we had landed on 27R with some heavy braking due to a Syrian 747 SP only a few miles behind. Then we got allocated the wrong stand and had to be bused to the arrivlas hall, all thanks to Crappy BAA. * * So all in all it was a v v good trip, and i was impressed with the A321. Sorry no pics ATM cos i don't have a digi cam :(
Original post
Profile picture for user T5

Member for

19 years 9 months

I'm certainly very impressed with bmi and their Airbus A321 aircraft. Not only are their fares extremely competitive, but the amount of legroom is more than impressive for a domestic service, check-in is always a breeze and they seem very punctual. I'll continue to use them wherever I can.

Member for

15 years 7 months

Hear Hear T5, i was impressed with them aswell. I'd never flown with them short-haul, only long haul and i thought they were v good!

Member for

19 years 9 months

Hear Hear T5, i was impressed with them aswell. I'd never flown with them short-haul, only long haul and i thought they were v good!
Where abouts did you travel to long-haul? There was a time whenever I wanted to go up north, I'd travel by car. Not anymore though. Within an hour and for little more than £50, you can travel in style from Heathrow to Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow on board the cleanest aircraft, be served the nicest snacks and experience the service from most pleasant cabin staff. I'd choose them over British Airways anyday. :cool:

Member for

15 years 7 months

I flew long haul with them last year from MAN to O'Hare, then back with them from Dulles! A330's were soo comfortable, IFE fab, food was bloody lovely, and the airline is great. Next years US trip planned with bmi once again!

Member for

15 years 4 months

Good report. You're right abut bmi fares- very competitive for good service.
Profile picture for user SHAMROCK321

Member for

15 years 8 months

I flown on their A321 DUB-LHR and it was quite good.However the comment about them being cheap is completley false regards the DUB-LHR route nowadays.There fares are far more expensive then EI into LHR and dont compare to FR on the other London routes.

Member for

19 years 9 months

I flown on their A321 DUB-LHR and it was quite good.However the comment about them being cheap is completley false regards the DUB-LHR route nowadays.There fares are far more expensive then EI into LHR and dont compare to FR on the other London routes.
That comment was by no means "false". Like all airlines (including the not so wonderful Ryanair), bmi do whack their fares up as the date of departure draws closer. And I don't think that Ryanair even comes into the equation. A flight from London Gatwick or even Stansted is bound to be cheaper than one departing from the only London airport - Heathrow. Another thing to bear in mind is that bmi do offer in-flight service, with drinks included in your ticket price as well snacks and meals on slightly longer flights. I was under the impression that Aer Lingus did not do this on domestic services? If bmi tickets do cost more than Aer Lingus, it is more than likely because more people want to fly with them... as the aircraft fills up, the ticket price goes up, too.