Jet2 LGW-MAN-LGW

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years

Just 3 days after my Cyprus trip it was another early start to catch the 5AM train to get me to Gatwick. The checkin queue was very short, and I was assigned seat 3A for the short flight up to Manchester. After proceeding airside I wandered around some of the shops before seeing a sign to a "Viewing Area" which I didn't know existed. Once there I had an excellent view of both terminals, and got a few registrations, including a very nice Etihad 340 on the North terminal.

After being very disapointed watching a Germanwings A319 landing, I consoled myself in the fact that a 717 could still be running the service 2 days later, and walked down to Gate 10 almost an hour before sheduled departure time. There were about 50 people waiting in the gate area, and we borded about G-CELJ 20 minutes early.

Someone was sitting in my seat, and whilst I probably should have asked him to move I really couldn't be bothered. We started up about 10 minutes early, and taxiied down towards 08R. There was rather a long queue, with several EZYs and BA 737s to depart ahead of us. Soon we were off though, and were airbone in about 15 seconds. Departure was very standard, and we climbed up to 24,000ft. Breakfast came aroun shortly after, and I bought a Danish pastry and a cup of tea for £2.

Soon enough we were descending, and after a lot of snaking around made our approach for 06R, the first time I had used the new runway. We got the reverse thrust warning from the cabin crew again, despite the fact it wasn't used :rolleyes: We held short of 06L for a BACX Dash 8, and then taxiied onto the end of the bridgeless T1 pier, before being bussed to T3.

Original post

Member for

21 years

After 2 days in Manchester and an enjoyable day with Dan (wannabepilot) up on the roof we checked in about 2.5 hours before the flight was due to depart for LGW. It was a night flight so once again I opted for a middle seat next to Dan, and we walked through into T1 after clearing security in a matter of seconds, despite Dans best efforts to remove his trousers on a number of ocassions.

Once through we were very glad we checked in early as there were some excellent views airside. We positioned ourselves by the taxiway leading into T2 and got some nice shots of various bits and pieces taxiing through. Once the light had subsided we moved to the end of the pier, where the light enabled photographs to be taken for about another hour, before the light completely went, and we wandered off to find our gate.

After walking up and down the pier 3 times we finally got to gate 11, and after a few minutes of waiting we boarded, walking down under the pier, and out to our aircraft G-CELH. The flight was about 80% full this time maybe more, and as such we departed on time. Taxi was out to 24L meaning that I had now used all the runways available at MAN, and again take off was very straightforward.

Descent was again normal, and after a loss of sense of direction we finally realised we were on the ILS for 08R again, and a realtively normal landing was carried out, with reverse thrust this time. We taxiied up to the same gate area as before, and were rather shocked to see an airbrdige being attached to the aircraft, and even more so to see that all the EZY 319s had bridges attached too! What is the world coming too!

Overall I was very impressed with Jet2, I paid £32 and got the exact same aircraft type, with leather seats allocated at checkin, and a meal that BA would have charged me £65 for. As long as Jet2 can advertise this well, they can easily remove all the passengers flying point to point on BA at the moment, and I will gladly use the service again.

Member for

21 years

Photos to follow on the main forum later I think, as Dan got loads from all flights as well.

Member for

20 years 1 month

So he didnt enjoy his time with me eh!
CELH's not a bad aircraft, tho i didnt like the tight seat pockets, was hard to stow my camera there, and its only a small one!

Member for

20 years 2 months

If you found Jet2 and Easyjet being attached to airbridges shocking well you might want to close you eyes.

Member for

21 years

OMG, O'Leary would be fuming if he saw that picture!

Member for

20 years 10 months

Nice report Mark, I really disliked T1 for some reason, much prefer T2.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Great report there

Member for

20 years 1 month

I agree with you there Tom, tho Peir C isn't too bad, the rest of T1 is shocking!

Member for

20 years 10 months

Especially the check in area - What is that all about? All over the shop!

Member for

20 years 1 month

Hehe it is!
I thought Jet2's check-in area was quite nice, but a longer walk from the station!!

Member for

20 years 2 months

Is terminal 1 where most of the low cos are based? Who operates from the other?

Member for

20 years 5 months

OMG, O'Leary would be fuming if he saw that picture!

LOL :D :D :D :D

Member for

20 years 1 month

Is terminal 1 where most of the low cos are based? Who operates from the other?

Yup, tho BMI Baby uses T3 for BFS while Jet2 use T3 for LGW arrivals

Member for

21 years

Never had the pleasure of T2 except the check in area, although T1 seemed average for most airports ie overpriced. I think £110 was the most expensive pair of jeans we found...

Member for

20 years 10 months

Hehe it is!
I thought Jet2's check-in area was quite nice, but a longer walk from the station!!

Ryanairs is round the back of the main row of desks, alongside the likes of Flybe and EU Jet,must be where they send the cheapos! the Jet2 one looks good, MyTravel have had that exclusive for a few years, not they have LS and TCY.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Well T2 airside is a bit boring really Mark, as i told u just one long finger, no character
T3 is excellent tho, a plus for MAN

Member for

20 years

Is there a viewing terrace at LGW? Im flying down on BA in april.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Is there a viewing terrace at LGW? .

there is a small viewing area airside in the South-Term i'm afraid!

Member for

20 years

Thanks for info bmi-star, anybody got any pictures of wot can be seen?

Member for

20 years 1 month

Once i get home, i'll post a pic from the viewing area